Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by MississippiRick View Post
I really don't even know why this thread even comes up. Everyone has their different opinions. This is my opinion, and many of you will not like it. Its just my two cents worth, if you don't like it, give me a penny back and go on your way.

If the only way you can seem to train a dog is with an E collar, shock collar, stimulas collar, vibrating collar, whatever you want to call it, then you really need some useful hobby, because you sure don't need a dog..........
ermm..think you will find the majority will agree with you on that one

also, refreshing to me for two reasons...1- you are in the usa 2- you have a mali
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I do not agree with them at all but, I tried one and got up to number 8 before I could feel it. It was on my wrist.
Evil things.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I wish they regulated these things more then they do, making ppl have to take a safety & general knowledge course before even being allowed to purchase one. Bit sadly not everyone thinks its cruel because supposedly its static not current which is supposed to be better?! As my father the electrician says, electricity is electricity.
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Ive just looked at that you tube footage, there is no way id put my Toby through that, at least the silly buggar wearing it could take it off when it got too much for him... ooh could put it on hubbie to make him do as he's told though lol
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
there is a lot of shock collar stuff flying around at the mo,

im fine with correcting a dog with a touch or a lead tug, and if an e collar from what i have read can be adjusted power wise from just feeling it to, ouch that hurts, was used on a setting that was no worse than a lead tug, then are they that bad,.......

It bl**dy well hurts having had one used on me. I use a Tens Machine a lot on quite a high stim & that is nothing to compared to using an e collar around the neck on a dog. The nerves in the neck transmit the pain quicker than putting it around a human arm or leg.

I don't correct by tugging the lead & collar nor by handling/touching-voice & signal only

BTW I also have quite a high pain threshold as do many dogs, I walked half a mile on a broken ankle when I was a youngster !
kycanine
New Member!
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:02 AM
The e-collar that I have goes from 1-100. I can't even feel it until I get to about 25-30 and then its little more than a tickle. I've been using collars for 10 yrs. I use it as a tap on the shoulder and to mean "pay attention". YES I DO put it on my wrist each time BEFORE I use it to ensure that it is functioning properly. The collar allows my dogs a freedom that MOST other dogs will never know. We can go hiking off leash or work off leash in a crowded park with complete confidence that if a sudden distraction appears I can call the dog off any rabbit or deer that might jump out. There is NO other way to immediately give a dog information/direction at great distances and enforce that direction if needed.
SO many purely positive trainers advocate "vibration" collars but my dogs who work on a 25-30 will give HUGE stress signals /jump/yelp if the pager feature on my collar is used.

The MAIN thing to remember in dog training is that it is the DOG and not the PERSON who determines what is a reward and what is aversive!!

kelly
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by kycanine View Post
The e-collar that I have goes from 1-100. I can't even feel it until I get to about 25-30 and then its little more than a tickle...........................kelly
So do you use the collar on your dog around it's pastern ?????

Answer is no so putting on your wrist is not the way to judge the amount of pain it transmits. Put it around your neck just under the chin & turn it up, it will be more than a"tickle"

If the only way you can train a dog is by aversion then you shouldn't have a dog
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-03-2011, 09:13 AM
The e-collar that I have goes from 1-100. I can't even feel it until I get to about 25-30 and then its little more than a tickle. I've been using collars for 10 yrs. I use it as a tap on the shoulder and to mean "pay attention". YES I DO put it on my wrist each time BEFORE I use it to ensure that it is functioning properly. The collar allows my dogs a freedom that MOST other dogs will never know. We can go hiking off leash or work off leash in a crowded park with complete confidence that if a sudden distraction appears I can call the dog off any rabbit or deer that might jump out. There is NO other way to immediately give a dog information/direction at great distances and enforce that direction if needed.
SO many purely positive trainers advocate "vibration" collars but my dogs who work on a 25-30 will give HUGE stress signals /jump/yelp if the pager feature on my collar is used.

The MAIN thing to remember in dog training is that it is the DOG and not the PERSON who determines what is a reward and what is aversive!!

kelly
Hmmmmmm...I must be doing something wrong then. Why is it that I can put my dog on a bad guy 100 yards away, and from that distance make him hold the guy there. If the man moves, he will nail him again. In fact he will walk that person right back to me. All without an E Collar.......AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I've been using collars for 10 yrs. I use it as a tap on the shoulder and to mean "pay attention".
Why not just train your dog to pay attention to his name and training commands. No need for gadgets
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:44 AM
The e-collar that I have goes from 1-100.blah blah blah
....stress signals /jump/yelp if the pager feature on my collar is used.
Hey wow - a pager feature. You get fries with that?
This is a lie. Simply a lie. Cos der dog don`t push der button...
kelly
Anyone else smell soup cooking?
Or could it be that a brand new member`s ONE AND ONLY post is on the only e-collar threat still active because they are genuine dog-lovers?
Page 4 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »