Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Are you seriously discussing how much to hurt a dog?
I don`t hurt my dogs. I train them.
no not how much to hurt a dog but weather it does hurt on a lower setting, or what it feels like as 3dognight kindly tried to explain to me.
just to be clear on what i think about them. this is one of my posts from another thread

i didnt even know about other types of training with an e collar, i just thought that if a dog done somthing unwanted you zapped it.
But i cant see it being better than positive reinforcement.

If i was asked to go to the shop for someone and there would be a mars bar waiting for me to eat when i got back, i would be happy to go,

If i was being shocked in the neck until i got back. i would probably run to the shop and back BUT i wouldnt be happy about it

being happy is more important than speed. wouldnt you say?
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
i worked in an idustral laundy...no not jail!!!there were metal bins,,and if you were a boy with change in your pocket ...zapo....this collar felt nothing like that....!!,
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
i worked in an idustral laundy...no not jail!!!there were metal bins,,and if you were a boy with change in your pocket ...zapo....this collar felt nothing like that....!!,
haha i had an image in my head of you in one of those striped suits then....
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2011, 08:10 PM
well i hope my experiments and discomfort...helped answer your question...!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:10 PM
There was a vid posted on another thread of someone trying a shock collar on themselves. I've lost the link.

But more come up on YouTube if you search.
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
i think what im trying to get across is that some people may use an e collar out of desperation or what ever, but then people start having a go at them not knowing anything about e collars ,thinking they have done something worse than they actually have. eg giving there dog a static shock (ok not good) rather than a mains voltage shock.

and yes thank you 3dognight that did help, have you ever peed on an electric cattle fence, no dont try it
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
i think what im trying to get across is that some people may use an e collar out of desperation or what ever, but then people start having a go at them not knowing anything about e collars ,thinking they have done something worse than they actually have. eg giving there dog a static shock (ok not good) rather than a mains voltage shock.

and yes thank you 3dognight that did help, have you ever peed on an electric cattle fence, no dont try it
Except that you don't need to know how strong an E collar is to know that you disagree with it!

Whether it's a static shock or a massive shock doesn't matter because an e-collar works on the premise that you use pain to 'train' a dog and the fact that someone is using pain is what the majority of us on here object to. If someone hits their dog or properly whacks them, it is still the same to me because how much pain they use isn't the issue, it is the fact that they use pain to 'train'!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Why oh why would you want to give your precious dogs a painful shock no matter what level it is set on ! I have only ever used positive reinforcement, its all they know and all they will ever know, its a bit like training a toddler to use the toilet , would an electric shock stop them having accidents , I think not ! continue with the positives and once the behaviour is learned it takes care of itself , a bit like dogs , train one thing and move on to the next, after all we are trying to tell the dog , what you have just done is good not if you do that again I will hurt you , I wouldnt try to change behaviour in any living thing by inflicting pain !
walkiespetcare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I had a ecollar years ago, to stop my mini schnauzer barking, he never yelped or barked again whilst wearing the collar, he did bark when he wasnt wearing it!

I had a few shocks from it and it was less than a static shock off a car door!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2011, 08:55 PM
heres somthing else to think about ...how much pain is involved in your regular collers and leash...using the neck to gain controll...hummmm...example...your dog pulls,to the point were they are coughing and gagging....you are standing still,your dog juts off and comes to the end of the leash....is that pain....i feel it is,but when you use electicity,its something new.....i feel there is some amountof pain involved in training dogs....no matter how soft you are .i hate the fact that im forced to teather my dog to me....no collars,unless im in public..
Page 2 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »