Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post

My grandma use to smack get dog with a rolled up newspaper never hard enough to hurt the animal but that is how I was brought up around dogs. I don't think smacking us cruel but then again I am not beating the living daylights out of them which some people may get the image if when j say I hit them. The pup for example doesn't but or nip he bit he got a tap on the nose. Doesn't hurt him but he learned quicker than me shouting no like my friend does with her pup who at the same age is still drawing blood with her nips. Each to their own And I don't get offended when people question my methods. You find what works for you and some people always say you dogs must be hand shy honestly they aren't I can wave my hands around an they don't bat an eyelid
ATD x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Yes ???
ATD x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I find a use for Combi/martingale collars. sometimes dogs are too good at getting out of harnesses and/or flat collars.
Absolutely!! Ben is ACE at slipping out of his collar - so was his father before him
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have used a choke chain in the past - but wouldn't ever see the need to use one now. I don't like Joe Public being able to buy them without any instruction on their use, so would prefer to see only people trained in their use to be able to purchase them - although, I don't really see the need to use them tbh.
Me too, when I knew no better
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I confess too to being a rolled-up newspaper fan - a whop across the backside didn't hurt them, I thought. Physically, absolutely not, but a good pack leader does not rule by violence, even gentle violence. Now, I am more likely to use a rolled up newspaper to make a noise by smacking it on my hand, never using it to actually hit the dog, that is BAD.

I have achieved so much with Ben in the last 6 months, not through inflicting pain using devices such as choke chains or prong collars, but just by being calm yet assertive, letting the dog know how he must behave if he "wants to be in my gang, my gang, my gang, yeah -yeah-yeah" - sorry, just going off on a Gary Glitter tangent there! My husband is far too much Sergeant Major-ish, with a dog like Ben it just does not work. We still have issues regarding his occasional aggression towards other dogs, but we are getting there. Gently, gently is the way forward, always trying to turn a negative into a positive so that there is something you can praise the dog for, rather than having to criticise him the whole time.

Most of this, if not all, I have learned from CM - he is not the ogre that many people think him to be, you just need to sort the wheat from the chaff, as you do with most canine behavourists I find.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Must say that's the only reason I could think of too - for dogs that are great escape artists!

When Rocky was a pup and we were on a walk we met some of his friends and he started playing, we were on the street. He managed to slip out of his collar tho (by backing out of it) and went in the road good job there were no cars around on what is usually a very busy road!

However after that I learnt that if I think he's going to back out/get excited then I just need to hold the collar itself, rather than the lead (and maybe lift it a bit so he can't slip out). However that is not always possible and is awkward as he's such a big dog - especially when you bear in mind the unknowns, of what's around the corner or out and about...

It's worse around here as you often get dogs off lead on the streets! And there are some people who let them in their front gardens and some who's yard gates are on the street - and I hate walking past those as the dogs there nearly always bark at everyone who walks by - Rocky growls back, but you're always anxious, what if they get out, what if they are worse one day.

I'd probably like to see a contraption where you fit a normal collar, but a tightening collar kicks in as a kind of back up - if the dog slips out of the normal collar.

However the flip side is - the dog can learn that if the collar is on loose it will enlarge and they can get out of it that way (tho I don't think Rocky would be clever enough to work that out ).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Not read whole thread but as a KC approved GC Test Examiner (gold) I can state the following:

1 If you use the check chain on the dead link it is the same as any other collar.
2 for some breeds a check chain is the only suitable collar due to hair, ruff etc
3 You can take a GC Test in them
4 You show dogs in the breed ring in them
5 the KC have NO plans to ban them
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Must say that's the only reason I could think of too - for dogs that are great escape artists!

When Rocky was a pup and we were on a walk we met some of his friends and he started playing, we were on the street. He managed to slip out of his collar tho (by backing out of it) and went in the road good job there were no cars around on what is usually a very busy road!

However after that I learnt that if I think he's going to back out/get excited then I just need to hold the collar itself, rather than the lead (and maybe lift it a bit so he can't slip out). However that is not always possible and is awkward as he's such a big dog - especially when you bear in mind the unknowns, of what's around the corner or out and about...

It's worse around here as you often get dogs off lead on the streets! And there are some people who let them in their front gardens and some who's yard gates are on the street - and I hate walking past those as the dogs there nearly always bark at everyone who walks by - Rocky growls back, but you're always anxious, what if they get out, what if they are worse one day.

I'd probably like to see a contraption where you fit a normal collar, but a tightening collar kicks in as a kind of back up - if the dog slips out of the normal collar.

However the flip side is - the dog can learn that if the collar is on loose it will enlarge and they can get out of it that way (tho I don't think Rocky would be clever enough to work that out ).
I use this on Mack, I 'd never hurt him or use a choke or chain on him, but it is great for big strong dogs with big necks that will get out of a normal collar. Am not doing an Adam and flooding with the threads with this collar, but did suggest it on another thread as an alternative to a metal choke chain on a strong dog.

http://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-walk...r-alaskan.html
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 04:10 PM
My bc mix learned this. He also learned how to remove his halti. He was a sod for doing it too. He couldn't figure out how to get out of the half check though.

Rupert is an absolute nightmare to keep hold of if he panics. He's slipped a halti, a harness and even a half check collar. Nearly took his ears off doing it but he got free. If I walk him on a collar it's on a half check that's fitted so that the rings don't meet as if it's looser he can slip it. Yes, it's tighter than it should be but if he got loose in a panic god only knows what would happen.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info SmokeyB - I can see how they might suit long-haired dogs (although I'd be worried about their hair getting caught in them?)

Moonie - do you mean one of these?

Sarah - the semi slip in the vid above might be a solution

Edit, just found these:

They look interesting as they have a limit on both ends (so can't get too tight, or too loose) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cavo-Dog-Puppy...a13fc1fccff78c
Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »