Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:15 AM

E-collars

I thought I'd start a thread for those wishing to discuss the bad and any good of E -collars as some have pretty much took over TeganTW's thread about recall tips - so here you go.

I would like to say they do a e - collar that vibrates not shocks which is mainly used for deaf dogs - so the owner can let teh dog off/ if it gets loose press a button to vibrate the buzzer on the dogs collar and get it to look for the owner (of course this has to be trained into them) but I think the vibrate is much better than the shock - especially those with deaf dogs that are independent.

shock collars = bad
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Most people call that vibrating collar which is fine. The instructions on the vibrating collar say not to use it with a dog under 6 mths.

Shock collars are a device used by those who don't have the knowledge to train certain things any other way. As proved by AP they often go hand in hand with any other adversive and rewards can also be used to calm prospective clients and con them into thinking the trainer is OK. For the same reason the shock is referred to as a 'stim'.

It is clever marketing and it cons some people. Hopefully we can follow Wales and ban the wretched things.

rune
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
A vibrating collar is fine, i dont think of that as a Ecollar.

Im lucky that i live in Wales, I will report anyone i see using a Ecollar
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Personally I see no need for them. I believe they are the lazy way out of putting time and effort in to training.

I think too, we should follow Wales and have them banned.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
The topic of e collars has been discussed at length in previous thread , personally I can think of no reason why anyone would wish to use one.

For me their name has become synonymous with a number of very odd salesmen who frequent dog sites using a variety of identities one of whom used to demonstrate the use of these devices by strapping it near to his dogs genitals .
Now I only have to hear the name 'e collar' and it conjures up a vision of weired people and makes me shudder ..... yuk!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
The topic of e collars has been discussed at length in previous thread , personally I can think of no reason why anyone would wish to use one.

For me their name has become synonymous with a number of very odd salesmen who frequent dog sites using a variety of identities one of whom use to demonstrate the use of these devices by strapping it near to his dogs genitals .
Now I only have to hear the name 'e collar' and it conjures up a vision of weired people and makes me shudder ..... yuk!
never heard that one before.

can you elaborate?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

can you elaborate?
Denis---on a u tube vid.

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
can you elaborate?
...really, have you not KW ?

I have mentioned it previously on here and posted pictures, if I remember correctly one advocate of the e collar said it was used this way in order to teach the dog to sit
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

For me their name has become synonymous with a number of very odd salesmen who frequent dog sites using a variety of identities one of whom used to demonstrate the use of these devices by strapping it near to his dogs genitals .
Sorry to make a thread that has already been made before, I thought that people were just changing the subject and werent really helping the OP. And there are new people and new opinions so it would be good to hear those

Gential collars?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Can`t the mods just paste in the last 3 threads dealing with this and save us the endless round of `Adam Palmer` carefully selecting which point he wants to answer? It`s never a debate, lets face.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 98 1 2 3 4 11 51 > Last »