Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Like i said i have a recall now which in everyday situations i am happy with, i now understand what Makes HER tick and work with that, and yes its taken masses of time, repetition and patience, (would love to see what colour my hair is under the grey) She is still not interested in Treats or toys out on a walk,You can't force a dog to be interested in these things. all and i mean all she wants to do is put her nose to the ground and find Birds, Bunnies, or the latest is hedghogs, Although i have to be fair to her in that when she's flushed them she doesn't chase.

Yes we do use us as a lure as well, and vary where we walk so she never knows what to expect. So she has to stay close to find out where we are going.

Just need to work on the steadiness for the shooting season

I hear what you are saying and understand you are happy with your level of recall.

To be honest, our dogs shoot off in the woods on a hunt and dont come back when called straight away.
But we know this and know they will come back in due course, so dont care about the lack of 'set recall' in that situation.

What im getting at is you have posted a few times that your Springer isnt toy or treat oriented, but havent elaborated how or why you conclude this?
Hence my questions regarding how you have trained for treats and toys, as quite often, when owners feel their dog isnt treat or toy orientated, its the case that they can be, and that the training to help become so just needs re-appraising.
Its very rare that a dog would not be orientated to one or the other.
Like the others have said, you just need to find out the dogs motivator....not a case of forcing the dog to like treats or toys.
I also understand you werent asking for advice, but just giving us a hypothetical situation, but my asking these questions in response to your hypothetical question (as i did immediately in my first post) is responding in line with the hypothetical.
As the first thing any trainer would or should do is look at the account offered and then ask questions of the information given therein.
To ensure the owner has understood what going on in all ways, and the experienced objective trainer may spot things they havent.

So, on both counts, hypothetical and giving advice, i think my questions regarding how and what treats have you used and have you trained using that one special toy, as described in my first post, would still be worthwhile and valid to know the answers to

For example, have you tried the treat scatter scent game?.

Still, no offence intended.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
More assumptions. He's doesn't use ecollars on every dog. It's ridiculous to say he would use an ecollar in a situation where a dog just needed recall training and had no other issues at all

If he placed an ecollar on a dog that was chasing vehicles, it was probably to prevent the dog from losing its life!
Well tell you what CC why don't you tell us how CM would train a dog with a poor recall?
I based my assumption on a show with a dog with a poor recall (if it had a recall it would stop chasing the vehicles...the main issue with the dog was a poor recall...) so if my assumption is wrong, tell us please how CM would train a dog to have a good recall. Or does he rely on them seeing him as leader?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I suspect...that in terms of distance control an ecollar would be used by CM (based upon the episode where he used one on a farm dog that chased vehicles.)
I have not seen him looking overly concerned about damaging a dogs confidence...so can't comment on that.

I suspect this would be the option as well, and lets say this was suggested by some more old fashioned gundog men, all that would have happened with moll is that she would have shut down entirely.

Example when we were at the gundog trainers they had an electric fence for the horse, Mike thought that Ren had turned it off and Ren thought Mike had, Moll went under the fence and caught her back for the next 4 lessons she wouldn't leave our sides.

The calm and assertive i can agree with, its the you will obey at all costs and if you don't i'll force you i can't get to grips with.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Does he really have you read the books yet then?
Yes. Yes.
Look at what he says here...from about 50 seconds in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps8g86khGFE
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Well tell you what CC why don't you tell us how CM would train a dog with a poor recall?
I based my assumption on a show with a dog with a poor recall (if it had a recall it would stop chasing the vehicles...the main issue with the dog was a poor recall...) so if my assumption is wrong, tell us please how CM would train a dog to have a good recall. Or does he rely on them seeing him as leader?
Ramble, see my earlier post. I don't think CM would try training a recall - he makes it clear that he is not a trainer. On to or three episodes where training is required, he works on the behaviour side and brings in someone else for the training.

ETA
I don't agree that the chasing vehicles one was about recall. It was on a farm in America where the dogs are loose all day - there may not have been someone to call the dog away. It was not therefore about training the dog to come back to the owner but stopping the chase behaviour to save the dogs life.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I refuse to ever believe that the dominant approach works when teaching recall. I challenge anyone to prove to me that it does.

Honestly.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
I suspect this would be the option as well, and lets say this was suggested by some more old fashioned gundog men, all that would have happened with moll is that she would have shut down entirely.

Example when we were at the gundog trainers they had an electric fence for the horse, Mike thought that Ren had turned it off and Ren thought Mike had, Moll went under the fence and caught her back for the next 4 lessons she wouldn't leave our sides.

The calm and assertive i can agree with, its the you will obey at all costs and if you don't i'll force you i can't get to grips with.
Exactly. Me too.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes. Yes.
Look at what he says here...from about 50 seconds in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps8g86khGFE
life's too short to watch slow loading video links what is it a video of you reading a book?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Ramble, see my earlier post. I don't think CM would try training a recall - he makes it clear that he is not a trainer. On to or three episodes where training is required, he works on the behaviour side and brings in someone else for the training.
How can the two be separated though? In order to be a good behaviourist you need an solid understanding of how to train (in a prefessional cpacity for both I hasten to add)...in order to train you need a solid understanding of dog behaviour...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

ETA
I don't agree that the chasing vehicles one was about recall. It was on a farm in America where the dogs are loose all day - there may not have been someone to call the dog away. It was not therefore about training the dog to come back to the owner but stopping the chase behaviour to save the dogs life.

Sorry just seen your ETA bit.
Fair enough....but i think it's picking hairs. I do see your point...but I could go on quite a lengthy one about that episode...so ...I'm giong to be quiet for a change.
I see your point.
Page 6 of 25 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »