View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Oh---I forgot the foxhound---she had been on the run as well and then in various different homes.The previous owner didn't walk her except on the beach and dunes where she could see her and knew she would come back eventually.

She did hie off a few times when we had her but she was getting older and was keener on food. She was nervy as well for a while.

She was wonderful.

rune
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Like i said i have a recall now which in everyday situations i am happy with, i now understand what Makes HER tick and work with that, and yes its taken masses of time, repetition and patience, (would love to see what colour my hair is under the Dye) She is still not interested in Treats or toys out on a walk,You can't force a dog to be interested in these things. all and i mean all she wants to do is put her nose to the ground and find Birds, Bunnies, or the latest is hedghogs, Although i have to be fair to her in that when she's flushed them she doesn't chase.

Yes we do use us as a lure as well, and vary where we walk so she never knows what to expect. So she has to stay close to find out where we are going.

Just need to work on the steadiness for the shooting season
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:42 AM
PS On tHe CM Thing how do you excert calm assertive energy, over a dog who is too far away to interact with, and who a nudge or a tap or whatever will damage all the work you have done building her confidence?

To me as its been said in the other thread CM is all about domination, how do you impose that domination in recall training, especially with a nervy dog, who at the beginning if escaped wouldn't come within 20yrds.

Rune your right sometimes you just look at a dog and know that they are going to Naff, had it with a few of the fosters, however i have also had dogs on foster that are supposed to have dodgy recall which have been fine when out with mine
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I disagree with it all being about domination, I don't dominate my dogs, I show them how to behave and expect them to observe the rules. I lead my dogs and I have a dog who had been living on the streets, had been shot with an air gun and would defend herself with her teeth if necessary. Calm assertive is a manner, a state of being. She responds to being treated in exactly the same way as the other dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
PS On tHe CM Thing how do you excert calm assertive energy, over a dog who is too far away to interact with, and who a nudge or a tap or whatever will damage all the work you have done building her confidence?
To me as its been said in the other thread CM is all about domination, how do you impose that domination in recall training, especially with a nervy dog, who at the beginning if escaped wouldn't come within 20yrds.

Rune your right sometimes you just look at a dog and know that they are going to Naff, had it with a few of the fosters, however i have also had dogs on foster that are supposed to have dodgy recall which have been fine when out with mine
I suspect...that in terms of distance control an ecollar would be used by CM (based upon the episode where he used one on a farm dog that chased vehicles.)
I have not seen him looking overly concerned about damaging a dogs confidence...so can't comment on that.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I disagree with it all being about domination, I don't dominate my dogs, I show them how to behave and expect them to observe the rules. I lead my dogs and I have a dog who had been living on the streets, had been shot with an air gun and would defend herself with her teeth if necessary. Calm assertive is a manner, a state of being. She responds to being treated in exactly the same way as the other dogs.
I think calm and assertive is a good state to be in...firm but fair..no one can argue with that at all. BUT CM does dominate and tells people to dominate their dogs soo...
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:52 AM
You can't, I think that is the problem,. After all we all know if you punish a dog when it comes back to you it associates the punishment with coming back not with the fact it's taken you 20 minutes to get it to come back! Hence why some trainers resort to e-collars to discipline (asssert dominance) a dog at a distance, but again, how on earth is the dog supposed to know what it has done wrong. It could think it got zapped for looking at a leaf!
Becky
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I suspect...that in terms of distance control an ecollar would be used by CM (based upon the episode where he used one on a farm dog that chased vehicles.)
I have not seen him looking overly concerned about damaging a dogs confidence...so can't comment on that.
More assumptions. He's doesn't use ecollars on every dog. It's ridiculous to say he would use an ecollar in a situation where a dog just needed recall training and had no other issues at all

If he placed an ecollar on a dog that was chasing vehicles, it was probably to prevent the dog from losing its life!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post

From what I understand about CM there are two points to make
(1) he always says he is not a trainer and does not train in obedience. I therefore don't think he would try to use 'his techniques' to resolve your situation.
(2) whilst he does believe in dominance and his earlier shows did seem to concentrate on this, Im not convinced that he would use the nudge or tap on a quiet nervous dog. The only time I have seen him use this is to snap a dog out of an intense state of excitement (not happy excitement).

As for the toy/treat thing I do largerly agree with you - for some dogs neither is a high enough reward in itself. Perhaps one day you will be lucky enough to stumble on the perfect reward which she will love above her hunting, whatever bizarre thing it may be (for Stumpy its a water pistol!)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think calm and assertive is a good state to be in...firm but fair..no one can argue with that at all. BUT CM does dominate and tells people to dominate their dogs soo...
Does he really have you read the books yet then?
Page 5 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »