register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 92 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2009, 12:19 PM
in my dogs case, who are both very strong willed, that defo being alpha over them. if faith doesnt respect me and think shes in control of me, the consequences would be dire
i think you have gotta have a certain degree of respect from your dog, but still respect them.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I think it depends a lot on the breed you have.. I don't alpha roll my dogs etc..but they know what I say goes..

I don't intimidate them...I don't have to..they respect me...and we all live in harmony..
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 01:32 PM
The world consists of leaders and followers... In a human/dog relationship the human must to be the leader, and the dog the follower...
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Can't be an alpha male....... wrong sex.

Can still give them leadership and set some firm consistent boundaries though.

Personally I prefer the idea of a working partnership with me as the senior partner
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I think 'dominance' or 'alpha' is over complicating things. If the dogs needs are met and you respect and trust eachother then the dog will be happy to obey you. Some dogs might try it on depending on breed, but you don't have to be constantly asserting your authority in order for the dog to know who's boss... In fact if anything that would seem like a weak leader, to me. I don't like to anthropomorphise but I think that it's more of a parent/child type of relationship than a dominant/submissive one.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
I think 'dominance' or 'alpha' is over complicating things. If the dogs needs are met and you respect and trust eachother then the dog will be happy to obey you. Some dogs might try it on depending on breed, but you don't have to be constantly asserting your authority in order for the dog to know who's boss... In fact if anything that would seem like a weak leader, to me. I don't like to anthropomorphise but I think that it's more of a parent/child type of relationship than a dominant/submissive one.
Totally agree with this post..I am not continually on at my dogs..in fact I don't really assert any authority over them every day..except with things other people normallly would..(walks, food, playing too boisterously!) I just need to clear my throat loudly in their direction and they KNOW I mean behave!

I think everyone see's the ALPHA differently..I see it as being in charge of my dogs and my dogs knowing I tell them what to do..

Others seem to see the ALPHA as someone who is constantly being dominant over their dogs..which I certainly am not..
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Mrs. S and I are in charge - we control access to the food, the biscuits and the sausages! Warmed bums are offered, occasionally, but never administered - a gruff "oi-oi!" and a wagged finger will suffice, usually. "We people, you, dog"

Snorri
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't think dogs are after world dominance of humans. I think they are opportunists.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 05:33 PM
It does to a certain extent depend on the breed, but that said, yes I do 100% agree with the statement.

Were OH and I not alpha male and female, we would have one big problem.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 05:52 PM
We are not dogs, cats etc we are humans & as such we should be providers for our pets.

Dogs living together with owners are rarely a"pack"as such, a pack of canines consist of the parents & all the(entire)offspring from different litters. They are a loose group of co-existing dogs,who we choose to have share our lives & the lives of other animals who we also choose to own.

I do not believe that "Alpha Males"are the pack leaders of wild dogs/wolves-the leaders of these packs in the wild are the breeding male & female who are the parents of all the others in the pack & it is only when the offspring come to sexual maturity that they leave the family pack to seek out a mate of their own to start their own family group.

In wild packs there are no disputes as seen in captive groups of wild canines/wolves etc because they are very closely related. Captive groups are a missmash of related & unrelated animals of the same & different ages, that in the wild would not live together.

We do not need to try to be pack leaders, we need to be the rule givers & providers & by interacting with our pets we develop a bond & mutual respect.

Dogs do not naturally wear collars & leads, but they do so & accept being restrained because it is rewarding for them. All dog training should be reward based-what the reward is depends on the dog & owners-but I know of no one who will go to work for nothing & I wouldn't expect my dogs work for me without reward
Page 3 of 92 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »