View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Well I came here in 1992 also like Cath, from Canada. I had visited here growing up though as all of our family was here. One of the main reasons I moved over was because my parents retired back here and I didn't want to be 3000 miles away from them as they got older.
There's plenty of good things about the U.K. including the beautiful scenery. You have so much on your doorstep including easy access to Europe. Yes, the NHS, still free although has some major problems!
I think it's easy to say 'the grass is greener' but it isn't. There's plenty I miss from home and I think we'll retire back across the pond too. There are pros and cons to living anywhere. When I first moved here, the main question I was asked was 'which is better Canada or England' well you just can't compare like that, it's not that easy. Canada will always be home to me as I was born and raised there and miss it daily but there are plenty worse places to live in the world than the U.K.
For those of you who have always lived here, I hope you have all taken time to travel the country you live in. That may just show how how much you have on your doorstep.
Life isn't perfect anywhere!
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I agree totally Jackie- esp. about what a beautiful place the UK is- very few UK people I know have explored their own country. They go to France/Spain, elsewhere for their holidays. I feel priveldged to have explored most of the UK over the past 25 years or so mostly by bicycle- wow some stunning scenery that motorists rarely get to see.
Like I said in a previous post- if you've not experienced living elsewhere you have nothing to compare the UK with.Yes I miss a lot of things about Canada too but both places have their good bits and both are utterly different.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:05 PM
I hate the way the Benifit system is abused but it is a brillient system, being disabled myself I would be stuck without it.

I also think the NHS is brillient, again I wouldnt be able to afford treatment and am very grateful for the help I recieve.

I love the scenery and the numerous beautiful areas in the uk, there is so much wonderous scenery.

Saying this, If I got the money I would move from this country, but thats a whole other thread...
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
I agree totally Jackie- esp. about what a beautiful place the UK is- very few UK people I know have explored their own country. They go to France/Spain, elsewhere for their holidays. I feel priveldged to have explored most of the UK over the past 25 years or so mostly by bicycle- wow some stunning scenery that motorists rarely get to see.
Like I said in a previous post- if you've not experienced living elsewhere you have nothing to compare the UK with.Yes I miss a lot of things about Canada too but both places have their good bits and both are utterly different.
Absolutely but then I explored a lot of Canada when I lived there too. I'm sure you'll agree though that 'going abroad' for holidays from Canada was less usual than here. We had so many weekends away at cottages etc. I don't think I spent a weekend at home through the summer months for many years! Always somewhere to go. Cottage country was a great thing!
I can't understand why more Brits don't pack up and head out for weekends away. Scottish Highlands, Lake District, Devon and Cornwall. It's all here.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 02:11 PM
I think the reason less brits stay at home is all to do with price, it cost more to holiday at home than it does for say a week in spain where the weather tends to be better.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:16 PM
My Uk holidays were all spent youth hostelling or camping.( before dog )It can be done cheaply in the UK- many people have caravans, rent a cottage, I guess if u want luxury then hotels are expensive.
I dont like hot weather so I suit the weather here- heh heh

Cath
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I think the reason less brits stay at home is all to do with price, it cost more to holiday at home than it does for say a week in spain where the weather tends to be better.
I do understand that but the weather never stops us

Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
My Uk holidays were all spent youth hostelling or camping.( before dog )It can be done cheaply in the UK- many people have caravans, rent a cottage, I guess if u want luxury then hotels are expensive.
I dont like hot weather so I suit the weather here- heh heh

Cath
I'd rather spend the money in a good B&B in the Lake District any day. I've done Spain and would go again but still prefer here.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I agree, I would rarther spend time here and I love the wet and cold weather. But I think people on a budget the UK is the last place for you, not only are places to stay expensive, so are the other things you would need to buy.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I agree, I would rarther spend time here and I love the wet and cold weather. But I think people on a budget the UK is the last place for you, not only are places to stay expensive, so are the other things you would need to buy.
Yeah, do understand it's a lot to spend on a budget, especially for a family but I remember my mum getting a job for a few months to save the money to go on holiday when I was growing up
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Im not sure why a lot of UK families on a budget dont try youth hostelling. You can self-cater or eat out so the cost can be small.Some of the locations are fantastic. Also some of the modernised hostels have family/private accommodation for privacy. I prefer to cook my own food-Im a fuss-pot so it suited me before I got Minnie.
These days as i have my dog I rent a cottage for a week. Its £200.00 regardless of how many people staying- a whole family could rent it at that price for a week- cook their own food-only extra is the petrol to get there- its about 120 miles away. So a family holiday in the UK really doesnt have to cost the earth
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >