View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2013, 08:33 AM

How often does a house need to be rewired?

In may I am going to have a lot of work done on my house, replastered Walls and ceiling, new internal doors, damp proof course, central heating, fitted kitchen, roof work, basically everything. The builder also said while I am having all this done, I should also have my house rewired.

I did have it rewired about 17 years ago and been looking on the internet to try and find out how often it needs to be done but the answers are so varying. I know the builder will tell me it needs doing as it's more money for him and I don't want all this work done and then need to have it done in 5 years or so.

Anyone have any idea?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
In may I am going to have a lot of work done on my house, replastered Walls and ceiling, new internal doors, damp proof course, central heating, fitted kitchen, roof work, basically everything. The builder also said while I am having all this done, I should also have my house rewired.

I did have it rewired about 17 years ago and been looking on the internet to try and find out how often it needs to be done but the answers are so varying. I know the builder will tell me it needs doing as it's more money for him and I don't want all this work done and then need to have it done in 5 years or so.

Anyone have any idea?

You should not need your house rewired after 17 yrs........ get an independent electrician in for a second opinion.

You will have to pay for his time though, or simply just say no thanks.

p.s........ I can see the logic to the builders thinking, but only if it needs doing.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't know if there is a definitive answer to your question 'how often'. And I am sure there are houses that haven't been rewired for decades.

However, here is my take on it. If I'd never had the wiring checked or had never had it rewired myself - I would consider it to be a very good time to get that done.

But, as you have had this done (and presumably were confident of the guy who did it) what I would do now is to get ANOTHER qualified electrician to come and assess whether it NEEDS rewiring before adding that to the list of stuff to fork out for. And not just take the word of a builder who, as you say, might just be plumping up his invoice.

He should not be offended if you mention to him that you will get the wiring 'inspected' and if it is thought to need replacing you will talk about it then.

*I see jackbox posted about the same time as me - but we are more or less saying the same thing.

I also think the expense of getting it checked out will be far less than getting it rewired and would be money well spent. A bit like paying to get a second hand car checked out before parting with your money for it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure but I think that the wiring materials have changed quite a lot in the last 17 years. And for this reason my have to be redone to bring it up to standard. I know that since 2006 the wire colours in plugs has changed.

Also all electrical work has to be certificated now and without it, it will be very difficult to sell the house in the future.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-02-2013, 11:29 AM
If it was re-wired properly anytime within the last 40 years it should be absolutely fine.

Just before Christmas I part-exchanged my 120 year old cottage for a new build house. One of the conditions was it passing an electrical safety and wiring test. They were done nearly 50 years ago and were in perfect condition.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Thank you all.

Nippy that's kind of what the builder said and I may want to sell it in the future so a certificate of electrical work would probably help.

Tangutica, I can't really remember much about who did the rewiring and yes I think I will get an independent electrician to check it, although he did say he was sending his electrician to check it but think that could be biassed but I will see what he says first.

Jack box, I know I thought rewiring didn't have to be done that often, I know people who have lived in their homes a lot longer than me and have never had them rewired.

But I think I will have it done if only for peace of mind , and in case I do decide to sell in the future, but I will see what the electrician says.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-02-2013, 11:30 AM
People can prefer the most up to date wiring etc but the older stuff shouldn't fail any test really.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Thank you Jamie, I suppose it would save me around £2000 if I didn't have it done. So confused .
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I'm not sure but I think that the wiring materials have changed quite a lot in the last 17 years. And for this reason my have to be redone to bring it up to standard. I know that since 2006 the wire colours in plugs has changed.

Also all electrical work has to be certificated now and without it, it will be very difficult to sell the house in the future.
Don't really understand all that Nippy. I sold a house 7yrs ago and the wiring wasn't mentioned? (Sold lots before that and ditto).

I know you are asked if any electrical work has been done to the house.

Do you have a link to this new requirement?
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
Thank you Jamie, I suppose it would save me around £2000 if I didn't have it done. So confused .
If you get an electrician round to do an electrical certificate as part of the inspection they recommend work to bring it up to date.
On my cottage it was a £1.50 socket change and that was it, i suppose it all depends on the quality of the previous work.

You're not obliged to get the work done, but if you go with the same electrician who does the inspection they tend to knock the inspection fee of any work.

(Inspection fee was around £120 in December 2012)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »