Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've got Dulux Mellow Mocha on the walls, Taupe in the two recesses and Dulux Simply pearl on two other walls by the brick fireplace, it goes fantastically well together, in fact, these 3 colours were in a picture in their brochure, and that's why I chose them. I got a bit carried away though, and the entire house, including bedrooms is all the same colour (except the kitchen of course!).

I'm getting bored with it now though, been 4 years, but it's a very big house and I can't be a*sed!
Ive had mellow mocha in the hall before and got it in different shades, I really liked it, now I have a hall that I dont like, kind of terracotta but not keen at all on that, single light, but I'm going to decorate, I have bought brown carpet and clay eggshell paint, spot lights and thats as far as Ive got!!

I wanted a change so thought I dont want to go for the mellow mocha but I id like it and I'm not sure.....the brown carpet is runner style and I actually want really dark gloss either side underneath with the clay eggshell on the actual skirtings - but what paint to go for...hmmm...?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:29 PM
We're lucky our house is very deceiving it fools everyone it looks small on the outside but its big inside.
thats like mine, everyone is surprised by the size of the rooms once they are in it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't have my own home at the moment, and if I rent again I probably won't have much choice anyway. Rented places are always magnolia and you're never allowed to put your own stamp on (though the last place I was in, someone had, & it was hard to live with!).

But I would love to have duck-egg, teal, turquoise, shades of the same together with cream, chocolate (furniture maybe) and a touch of metallic gold.

I'm ambivalent about it as I watched The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas last week and the modern, Bauhaus home was done in all that colour scheme to perfection.

I guess I will just have to see when I get my own place.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:34 PM
MM - you will eventually, some landlords will let you too.

I agree with Helena, the Mellow Mocha definatley has a warm feel. I really liked it but at the same time I want something that will 'follow through' to the lounge on the walls, so I might have to go with another stone shade?

In my room I used the 'light and space' from Dulux and I cant remember the actuall shade but I really like it and I can use loads of colours from the bedding from hot pink to black to the browny statin strip ones, to pastel throws and it always goes....its nice being able to change it every few days like that
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
thats like mine, everyone is surprised by the size of the rooms once they are in it.
don't you just love it when people come to the house and step in with...'''God this is so big....it doesn't look it from outside''' I think they expect ours to be tiny
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:37 PM
MM - you will eventually, some landlords will let you too.
Don't bet on it! Have been in rented acommodation for over 25 years and it's rare they let you. Usually if they let pets in, they are ultra picky about any changes. No landlords down here allow pets so I'm stuffed.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Don't bet on it! Have been in rented acommodation for over 25 years and it's rare they let you.
wow - Iv known a few people in rented here that have been able to decorate, maybe the secret is to rent somewhere that really, really needs it and they will let you save them the cash
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:41 PM
I think it depends too, paint can be painted back over before you move out, paper etc they may not like...
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:44 PM
wow - Iv known a few people in rented here that have been able to decorate, maybe the secret is to rent somewhere that really, really needs it and they will let you save them the cash
And thereby hangs a tale - last landlord was like that but to decorate would have bankrupted me - landlord also never did basic repairs, I ended up going to the council to force them to fix stuff like the perpetually blocked toilet. Council did warn me that if you do go that far, landlords tend to want you out...

Citizens Advice are apparently trying to campaign that if you report a bad landlord they can't get you out afterwards.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
don't you just love it when people come to the house and step in with...'''God this is so big....it doesn't look it from outside''' I think they expect ours to be tiny
yeh, people always walk into the lounge and say that, to be fair it does look smaller from outside. It helps that I have loads of build in storage too though, there is no way I could get all that storage in a newer property then again, sometimes makes it easy to clutter up the cupboards....New years resolution was to get more organised so I have changed one around inside, pulled out stuff from another - just need to be ruthless now lol Dog thought it was great - 'all my old toys - yippee' AHH, just remembered I forgot to note that software down for you young stevie - hopefully find out on Tuesday for you (promise, what was I saying about being organised....)
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >