View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Sadly since we lost our cat in may we have had a regular fox in the garden - it is SUCH a pain - barely a day goes by without one of the dogs rolling and the smell in the garden is horrid....anyone know of a good way encourage it away....(its probably here becasue of the rise in rabbits (also since the cat left )
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tan's mum View Post
well just the set the fox in the chicken coop.......
i am a pro, i find foxes a downright nuisance we lose chickens and lambs to the ******s and we need a humane way of getting rid of them, but think of it this way: when a dog catches a fox the fox is dead before it hits the ground, if a farmer shoots it how do we know this? also what happens to the hunt pack?
Do you put your chickens away at night? Neither foxes nor stoats have got into our chickens, and there are a number of both around.

As for lambs, I would hesitate before saying foxes have definitely taken live lambs, unless you have seen it with your own eyes. It would seem from studies undertaken that many times foxes take lambs that are either stillborn, have died or are dying.

I don't believe for a second that every fox is killed instantly by a pack of hounds - not for one second
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Is this better than getting ripped to peices for the sake of some people having fun. Sorry but I don't agree with it and how people can call it a sport beats me. No sport for the poor fox
The lesser of the two surely is a quick death for the fox.... or are you saying they should not be killed at all!

The hound will kill in an instant....the same way any dog will they break the neck with one snap and shake..

Yes the rest of the pack will then join in and rip the fox to bits.... is it any different than say , your GH/Lurch er catching a rabbit and killing it instantly.then ripping it to shreds.

Foxes are a menace, they are not fluffy bunnies, they kill for the fun of it... not to stay alive....ask anyone who has lost livestock from foxes... the carnage they leave behind.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Hunting is thriving thanks to the stupid law, better than ever and long may it continue. Not getting into an argument but I love it and always will.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Do you put your chickens away at night? Neither foxes nor stoats have got into our chickens, and there are a number of both around.

As for lambs, I would hesitate before saying foxes have defintiely taken live lambs, unless you have seen it with your own eyes. It would seem from studies undertaken that many times foxes take lambs that are either stillborn, have died or are dying.

I don't believe for a second that every fox is killed instantly by a pack of hounds - not for one second
I have a friend who owns chickens, and yes she does put them to bed at night, but the fox still got into her coup, and left a massacre behind.

Yes, you are right, not all foxes will get a clean kill, but that sadly is life, you cant expect otherwise...but usually the kill will follow a pattern of the survival of the fittest.

have you ever seen a fit fox out running the pack, believe me they can... it is the old and weak that will get caught... and better a clean quick death than a long suffering one.

This is a subject that will never have a happy medium, everyone will have strong opinions on it... I respect them all...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 06:49 PM
You have a lot of dogs that are out and about too, not in kennels or locked inside, accounts for a HUGE amount. My sister had no chickens taken when her dogs were on chains running the length of the yard, but when they came to live in the barns at night, chickens were taken, and in large numbers, it took the Foxes just a couple weeks to work out they could go on the rampage "safely".

As for lambs, I would hesitate before saying foxes have definitely taken live lambs, unless you have seen it with your own eyes. It would seem from studies undertaken that many times foxes take lambs that are either stillborn, have died or are dying.
Yes seen this too. Behind us at work its happened, as they were being born prematurely due to stress of being chased by Foxes, one Lamb was literally "pulled" from its mother, it was found beheaded, a usual thing for a Fox to do.

Not every one, but 99% are, and its far more humane than trapping, snaring, gassing and poisoning that oftena dn frequently kill other species including pet dogs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have a friend who owns chickens, and yes she does put them to bed at night, but the fox still got into her coup, and left a massacre behind.

Yes, you are right, not all foxes will get a clean kill, but that sadly is life, you cant expect otherwise...but usually the kill will follow a pattern of the survival of the fittest.

have you ever seen a fit fox out running the pack, believe me they can... it is the old and weak that will get caught... and better a clean quick death than a long suffering one.

This is a subject that will never have a happy medium, everyone will have strong opinions on it... I respect them all...
I'm all for nature taking out the sick and the weak, etc. etc. as everything happens in the wild, BUT, there is nothing out there that would hunt a fox is there??? There's not NORMALLY a pack of hounds running around the countryside is there??? So this is far from natural and nature to let them chase and kill a fox imo. Put your animals away overnight as you should (the chickens) and no harm will come to them surely? As for the sheep, they all seem safe enough around here, I know a local sheepfarmer have done for donkey's years and he's never had foxes killing his sheep Let nature be nature, sure, but don't kill things just because we don't like what they do, apart from rats of course, I don't mind those being hunted, they really are vermin! There's enough foxes being killed on the roads around here day after day, so that should do away with the amount you want, leave them for roadkill!
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Is this better than getting ripped to peices for the sake of some people having fun. Sorry but I don't agree with it and how people can call it a sport beats me. No sport for the poor fox
I agree....just no need for it, to kill ANYTHING just for fun to me is wrong.
Cant see what anyone would get from it....totally NOT ME!
All just my opinion of course
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm all for nature taking out the sick and the weak, etc. etc. as everything happens in the wild, BUT, there is nothing out there that would hunt a fox is there??? There's not NORMALLY a pack of hounds running around the countryside is there??? So this is far from natural and nature to let them chase and kill a fox imo. Put your animals away overnight as you should (the chickens) and no harm will come to them surely? As for the sheep, they all seem safe enough around here, I know a local sheepfarmer have done for donkey's years and he's never had foxes killing his sheep Let nature be nature, sure, but don't kill things just because we don't like what they do, apart from rats of course, I don't mind those being hunted, they really are vermin! There's enough foxes being killed on the roads around here day after day, so that should do away with the amount you want, leave them for roadkill!
My boys are very upset.....

I find it interesting that people have a differnet take on what is classes as 'vermin'....just becasue you do not have a fox problem locally does that mean they are not vermin for some people?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
That is EXACTLY why they need controlling! Tell me a better way that does not involve prolonged suffering.
Page 3 of 94 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »