View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Very interesting reading here, and I wonder how many of those comments are due to media hype! The media only ever show the negative side, and believe it or not here in the UK we are one of the good guys with regards to greyhound racing.

Jodie, you wanted to something positive from greyhound racing, well go to a race track, and get there early whilst the dogs are having trials. Often dogs will be trackside, and you listen and look at them. They can't wait to get out there and chase. That's not to say all of them are like that, but a fair few love racing and the chase. After all they aren't allowed to do it anywhere else anymore! Some of the dogs love it as much as a BC loves agility or flyball!

Now I am not saying that it is all good, unfortunately there is a minority element that is very very wrong. The guy that executed greyhounds for £10, not right but those dogs were the lucky ones. Jodie the dogs in your video were far less fortunate (see history of Greyhound thread). There are many dogs bred each year, and only a very small percentage of these suffer, personally I'd like to see that percentage small.

I think there are many things at fault, firstly too many dogs are bred, I think there should be rules and guidelines set by the NGRC or BGRB, so restrict breeding. I also think more education is required to the general public, the number of times I have been asked about the amount of exercise Jade needs, and everyone seems to think they need loads of exercise. They are the world's fastest couch potato

THere are strict laws regarding greyhound ownership and responsibilities after their racing career, but these are neither enforced or suitable. There are ways round them. The technology is out there to prevent people dumping these dogs without identification marks, it should be used. In short ownership and responsibility should be made tighter so people can't get round it.

Finally, I think there is a great problem with the Retired Greyhound rescue centers, most are too stringent,picky or on a power trip. I have witnessed potential owners that have been turned down for the most stupid of reasons. Where others because they can make a big donation have been allowed to own an unappropriate dog. One of the reasons ex-racers are dumped is because they can't get into the rescue centers, so if rescue centers could be more realistic in their assessments of potential owners then many more dogs could pass through their doors.

I don't think racing should be abolished, but I do think tighter controls are required. There are many people that love these dogs, and love seeing them at their best. These same people ensure that their dogs go home or are found loving homes. I also think that without racing, the Greyhound has no place in the modern UK!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Abolition yes for reasons others have stated.

Iain, Greys love to run and chase yes, but that doesnt mean they have to do it in the manner they do now. They can still do this for fun without the money factor being involved and therefore the competition being a huge factor for the people involved, leading to their destruction and being dumped.

If the gambling side of it, the competition of it was banned, I think most competitors would think twice about owning them, let alone using them to make money !
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Deleted, because some of it was double posted !!!

Just a thought : We race Malamutes, Huskies, CEDs, Sams and others in this Country in dry land sledding, yet no money changes hands, and it's all in the name of fun and doing what the dogs enjoy, so why can't Greyhound racing be the same ?
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Abolition yes for reasons others have stated.

Iain, Greys love to run and chase yes, but that doesnt mean they have to do it in the manner they do now. They can still do this for fun without the money factor being involved and therefore the competition being a huge factor for the people involved, leading to their destruction and being dumped.

If the gambling side of it, the competition of it was banned, I think most competitors would think twice about owning them, let alone using them to make money !
Actually most owners don't own greys to make money, there is no money in racing! There are those within the racing that are in it to make money, but they are a minority! Until recently there was the racing without money element, it was called coarsing! Unfortunately because it has been going on so long, you couldn't remove the gambling, but you can make it very hard for the rejects to be dumped.

I personally think there should be more done to restrict the numbers being bred and more should be done to encourage new homes once they finish racing!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Deleted, because some of it was double posted !!!

Just a thought : We race Malamutes, Huskies, CEDs, Sams and others in this Country in dry land sledding, yet no money changes hands, and it's all in the name of fun and doing what the dogs enjoy, so why can't Greyhound racing be the same ?
How long do you think it will be before money does start changing hands. How do you think greyhound racing started?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
How long do you think it will be before money does start changing hands. How do you think greyhound racing started?
If it remains in the hands of the people that govern it now, then never, as they are ethical, moral, dog loving people.

PLus they only allow members who take care of their dogs and everyone undergoes strict health checks, Rig checks etc for safety issues. They are social events more than anything, not taken too seriously, and everyone knows everyone's dogs and where they come from, so competitors need to play by the rules or breeders of said dogs would get involved.

Anyhow. I never said that most owners race them. I SAID if you removed the gambling element, then those that DO use them for racing and therefore are more prone to dumping them, they probably wouldnt own them in teh first place, as money is their priority, not dog ownership.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2008, 11:52 PM
This is a good thread, and I haven't made my mind up yet(due to bad head)but Ive enjoyed reading the input guy's every opinion is valued.xxxxxxxxxxxx
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

25-03-2008, 11:57 PM
If it remains in the hands of the people that govern it now, then never, as they are ethical, moral, dog loving people.

Anyhow. I never said that most owners race them. I SAID if you removed the gambling element, then those that DO use them for racing and therefore are more prone to dumping them, they probably wouldnt own them in teh first place, as money is their priority, not dog ownership.
It will change eventually it is human nature! If there is a way to gamble it will be done!

My comment was that most people who own greys to race, aren't in it to make money as there is none to be made! It is the minority that are in it to make money. And they are the ones who will dump the dogs, so that is was needs to be addressed. Make it impossible to dump the dogs! It is improving all the time but has a long way to go!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 12:02 AM
IMO there is not alot between the one's who dump the dog's and the puppy farmer's. sorry off topic.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
My comment was that most people who own greys to race, aren't in it to make money as there is none to be made! It is the minority that are in it to make money. And they are the ones who will dump the dogs, so that is was needs to be addressed. Make it impossible to dump the dogs! It is improving all the time but has a long way to go!
I disagree.

As there's so little Greyhound racing compared to 10 years ago, the stats speak for themselves in the designated Rescues !! Obviously more dump their dogs, than they would have people believe. I think it's more like the minority actually care for the dogs and the majority are the money grabbers, and to say there's no money in it, is ludicrous, it still is a very lucrative business to be in when dogs can fetch 5 figures !!
Page 2 of 157 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 > Last »