Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Only one meal

Both our dogs have never thought much to there morning meal so 2 months ago we thought seing they were about 18 months to put them to 1 meal a day.
So now we only feed them at night between there last walk and bedtime.
We thought they would wonder why they were not being feed in the morning after a few days but they have not worried and they seem to have more energy which i cant understand I thought they may of got hurry in the day.
I wanted to share this will you all to see what you all thought and if there is anyone else who only feeds once a day, I was always worried about bloat when they were younger.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

S-J
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2007, 09:53 PM
my two never cared for breakfast either so few months back i changed to one meal (around our dinnertime 5-6pm) and they are happy as ......

i did read somewhere about a fast day being beneficial but when i tried it they went nuts
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 09:56 PM
My two younger boxers sit patiently awaiting there breakfast in mornings but my older boxer does not eat hers until lunchtime xxdk
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I have just recently started Max on one meal a day in the past week. He's always been a fussy eater, not wanting to eat his food in the mornings, often not eating his breakfast until dinner time, and getting bored of foods quickly.

I did the whole leave the food for 20 minutes thing and it worked, but just lately over the past few weeks he has been leaving his food. I have had him completely checked over and nothing physically wrong with him to suggest why he would be off of his food. I have now been giving him about 4 biscuits in the morning, and then feeding him his food in the evenings, and touch wood he has been doing well so far.

In an ideal world I would feed twice, but realistically if he's only going to eat once anyway then there is no point.

I know some people would suggest feeding raw instead of commercial dog foods, but realistically I don't have the time or the resources to feed this way, so I have found that for now, this works best for me.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 10:37 PM
well if i havent fed bruno by about 930 he acts like he has never eaten ever in his life ........

and same thing happens at 5pm - he is such an actor
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Mind only get fed once a day at 6pm, but they would if given the chance eat me out of house and home.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I am glad not the only one who feeds once a day, i was a bit worried that i was doing the wrong thing, they will quite happily eat treats all day just not their breakfast
They still seem happy so can't be to bad
Thanks
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I think feeding once a day can be very effective for fussy eaters. Pickles was never a big eater and always a skinny little thing, but once I changed him onto one meal a day he ate like he'd just discovered eating!

I have to say though, one thing I've learned is that feeding once a day is not suitable for Labrador Retrievers. By midday they'll be play acting dead, just to try and get something edibile from you!
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-12-2007, 11:18 PM
With the 3 we have here atm they are twice a day despite differing size, weight and ages etc. morning meal is before 1030am and again around 5pm. Main exercise time is around 1pm and again timeout n about late evening, playtime in between dog naps. Tug in the garden etc. Also a couple of dog biccie's at bed time.

Im careful about their weight and general conditioning tho and like them fighting fit (excuse the term)
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Mr Woo gets fed twice a day most days, except 1 day a week.

Seku gets fed once a day although to look at her (Lard a**) and see her drooling over a crumb, you would think she had never been fed before, and like most women, if she gets too much it goes straight to her hips, so she's a strictly once a day gal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >