View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Sorry Gnasher - I wasn't getting at you, I was just responding.

At the end of the day, you were in the wrong and you've taken responsibility, accepted it and you are dealing with it.

I often think owners make things a lot worse for their dogs by the way they react - just as parents do with their kids.

The main reason when Takara was badly attacked that I didn't make a big deal of it was because I was concerned about MY dog. It wasn't a lack of care on my part, once the dog had been removed from Takara's neck, I made a point of walking back to the car WITH the other dog and owners and laughing and making jokes.

Takara walked along next to the naughty border collie who looked a little sheepish but didn't react at her again and the two of them were fine together. She's a nervous dog and if I'd have gone off alarming and checking her over etc. she'd have been far more upset by it.

As for your comments about them walking across your drive which have been attacked, I do totally understand what you're saying.

LEGALLY, they have every right to cross your drive and not be attacked whether your dogs are running around or not. LEGALLY, they should not have to wait for you to get your dogs but why is that all that matters??

If I'm driving down the road and a stupid student (of which there are many around here) steps out in front of me they know that I have to do all I can to avoid hitting them so they're safe. LEGALLY if I hit them, it'd be my fault - even though it's a lack of care on their part.
But that doesn't mean it's right!

If I'm walking my dogs and I come across a dog that is not friendly, they go on leads or called right away from that dog. If the dog is off the lead, we turn around and walk in the other direction to keep a distance until the other dog has been put on the lead.
I have every right to walk straight past but WHY?! Why would I want to risk my dogs being attacked just because I'd be in the right because my dogs were under control?!

I don't understand people who will put themselves, their kids or their dogs at risk because they have a legal right to do so.

No it's not ideal - your neighbour should be able to walk across you drive without having to call out or wait, but life isn't always ideal and it's caused a lot more problems by not doing so.

Perhaps your neighbour should consider that next time she wants to get to the other side of the road she doesn't need to wait for the car that's driving by above the speed limit because LEGALLY she has every right to cross and if she does end up in a coma or with two broken legs, it doesn't matter because she was in the right - legally.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again, you do not walk onto someone else's property with your 2 dogs when you can see that there are 2 loose dogs on that property, it just is not a sensible thing to do.
Are you sure she saw your dogs? Are you sure that she didn't assume they were on lead?

I know when I come home, I'm often distracted - talking to my dog, taking to my hubby, hustling and bustling to find keys etc.

Could it be that she is so angry because she wasn't aware of your dogs and now feels (somewhat rightly) aggrieved that her dog has suffered as she was returning home?

Could it be that the 'small' wound was actually bigger than you thought - perhaps wide enough so that normal stitching won't pull the sides together? Could it be that she is unhappy at having to fork out cash now and wait for your insurance to cough up the cash - all the while unsure that the claim will be met in full.

There are often things going on of which we are unaware. It just seems a little strange that you had such a strong relationship before the incidents and it's all fallen apart so dramatically.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:21 PM
just pondering upon the wisdom of allowing a DA dog offlead, where there is the possiblility of bumping into other dogs (while being unable to physically control) said dog.

Plus, if a dog who had previously been aggressive towards my dogs, then aggressively approached mine, then I would use whatever was necessary to defend my dog.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Kerriebaby - They did, and gnasher didn't have an issue with them beating Ben.

I've always said if my dog went up to another dog and was attacking and not stopping, I'd be more than happy for that person to use appropriate physical force including beating them with a stick or kicking them... Gnasher didn't have an issue when they beat her dog.

However, I WOULD have an issue with attacking my dog if my dog wasn't attacking or acting aggressively - which is the case with the fence. The dogs were all getting on fine and yet she launched an attack from the other side of the fence, injuring Ben.

I agree with Brierley that things aren't often what they seem and that it could've been a more severe injury than first thought. When Takara was attacked, it didn't look that bad but the dog had torn the skin away from the tissue and it was a lot worse than it looked - however, I explained all this to the owners of the dog (they too knew their dog was dog aggressive around possessions but brought a toy out on a walk with them - a stupid error of judgement that I haven't held against them) so that they were aware of what had happened.

People just need to grow up and have a bit of understanding. Nobody's perfect - sometimes we let our guard down, we do stupid things and for the unlucky few some of these things result in damage to ourselves or others.

Of course she has every right to be angry but she's doing herself no favours holding a grudge and not disclosing information that could help Gnasher sort her dog out.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
People just need to grow up and have a bit of understanding. Nobody's perfect - sometimes we let our guard down, we do stupid things and for the unlucky few some of these things result in damage to ourselves or others.

Of course she has every right to be angry but she's doing herself no favours holding a grudge and not disclosing information that could help Gnasher sort her dog out.
Honestly with the amount of people who continually complain about dog attacks on this forum it's like I'm reading stuff like this from another dimension. Her dog was attacked - why does she have to be understanding? I sure as hell wouldn't be understanding if my dog was attacked twice, nor have other people who post here every day about their dogs being attacked felt that there is a responsibility on their behalf to be the better person. The owner has absolutely no fault in this imho, so why does she not have the right to hold a grudge, considering it happened again for a second time?

All I know is that if my dog was attacked twice in circumstances which could have been preventable with a bit of common sense on the behalf of the other owner, if someone told me to be 'more understanding' and 'grow up' I'd go absolutely nuts She has every right to be pissed off, and every right to be pissed off for as long as she sees fit!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
Honestly with the amount of people who continually complain about dog attacks on this forum it's like I'm reading stuff like this from another dimension. Her dog was attacked - why does she have to be understanding? I sure as hell wouldn't be understanding if my dog was attacked twice, nor have other people who post here every day about their dogs being attacked felt that there is a responsibility on their behalf to be the better person. The owner has absolutely no fault in this imho, so why does she not have the right to hold a grudge, considering it happened again for a second time?

All I know is that if my dog was attacked twice in circumstances which could have been preventable with a bit of common sense on the behalf of the other owner, if someone told me to be 'more understanding' and 'grow up' I'd go absolutely nuts She has every right to be pissed off, and every right to be pissed off for as long as she sees fit!
completely and utterly agree with you
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:53 PM
This is taken from a post by the OP----guess which dog is being talked about?

<<< meeting and greeting dogs. He is not allowed to go rushing off to say hello, he has to do it under our control, and this actually has taken the longest time for him to learn. Like his dad before him, *** just HAS to go and say hello to other dogs, he cannot not, he just has to do it. And we are happy to let him do so, but in a controlled way, so that he does not alarm either humans or dogs. Not everyone likes a great big bear galloping towards them, however friendly. He now is much more calm, and has actually started to lay down now and let the other dog come to him.>>>

Somehow this dog has now become dog aggressive.

Once again conflicting stories from the OP.

I have no sympathy with her and pity the neighbours.

rune
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
This is taken from a post by the OP----guess which dog is being talked about?

<<< meeting and greeting dogs. He is not allowed to go rushing off to say hello, he has to do it under our control, and this actually has taken the longest time for him to learn. Like his dad before him, *** just HAS to go and say hello to other dogs, he cannot not, he just has to do it. And we are happy to let him do so, but in a controlled way, so that he does not alarm either humans or dogs. Not everyone likes a great big bear galloping towards them, however friendly. He now is much more calm, and has actually started to lay down now and let the other dog come to him.>>>

Somehow this dog has now become dog aggressive.

Once again conflicting stories from the OP.

I have no sympathy with her and pity the neighbours.

rune
Hold on (Brain engaging) is the dog who had the "collar" used on it, and is part wolf?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 03:05 PM
That would be the one, the one with a great recall and as can be seen from the quote---the one who is calm and friendly with other dogs.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Hold on (Brain engaging) is the dog who had the "collar" used on it, and is part wolf?
Yes it is >

I wonder if his DA is a result of the E.collor

The point is Gnasher, the drive may well belong to you, but in selling off part of your land, you have given them access over it, and its not unreasonable to expect to be able to walk down your drive way without your dogs being attacked by your neighbours dogs,

My guess is your neighbour has had enough of having to run the gauntlet when ever she takes her dogs out incase your dogs are loose.

I am not sure why the onus should be put on her to make you aware she is around with her dogs, you know she will be walking at some point down the drive, you know your dog is DA, and will attack hers if he sees it, so its on you to make sure he never gets the chance.

I can understand her worry and anger to be honest.
Page 7 of 51 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »