Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2009, 04:56 PM

Which meal ??

My puppy will be ready to have his feeds reduced to 3 a day instead of 4 soon. He is fed every 4 hours - 8 am. 12 pm, 4 pm and 8 pm. Would the last feed be the best to leave out, and just give him a few biscuits instead, this will be a gradual process aswell. Would like to hear from you all.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 05:09 PM
do something like 8am. 1pm & 5/6 pm
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2009, 05:55 PM
My puppies come to me at 7 weeks on 3 meals. I usually feed the last one about 6 PM to give them a chance to make it overnight.

If you have a small breed, you may want to delay the third meal if you see problems throwing up bile in the morning.

Raven will be 3 months old next week, and we will start cutting out her lunch.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I would go to three when puppy is ready, cut out the third meal and space them out.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I think it depends on the dog, but I would carry on with three meals for at least 5 or 6 months depending on whether the dog is very hungry during the day. It also depends on how energetic the dog is. Dan went on 2 meals at 5 months as he is quite low energy, but I reckon Rogue will be different. she's nine weeks and still on four meals.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2009, 10:21 PM
i have NEVER managed to keep any of the collies on 4 meals , i sometimes think id LOVE a foody breed!!!!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-12-2009, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i have NEVER managed to keep any of the collies on 4 meals , i sometimes think id LOVE a foody breed!!!!
You really feel good about it when the puppy is quivering waiting for your ''Free dog!'' to devour its food. It really bothered me when our one Lab wouldn't eat enough to hide his ribs even after switching to a more concentrated food. Years later, I was more experienced and better trained when our Shepherd pup was the same way. Most Labs are very eager eaters. Shepherds often like to show a little rib.