Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2014, 06:56 PM

Treadmills for added exercise

Hi there dog lovers!
I am wondering if any of you use treadmills for your dogs as added exercise?
I have been very scrutinized for using them previously by people on another forum.. But the truth is, I live in Canada and have 3 short haired dogs. We get around 5-6 months of weather that in an average year is too cold for the dogs to go out for their normal daily walks. So I have found that my treadmill is a great way to still get them up and moving.
Is there some sort of down side to using it that I am unaware of?
Do you use them? and if so how often?
Do your dogs enjoy it?
My youngest puppy is terrified of the noise the treadmill makes so Im still practising with him on it (any tips to get him used to it would be greatly appreciated), my older two seem to really enjoy it though

Thanks for your input!

This is my older two going for an "indoor walk".. they have a hard time waiting their turn
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm stupid about posting video's and pictures on here, but Eddie the Beagle has a treadmill for additional exercise. He jumps on to it quite happily, but begins to get a little bored after 500 metres or so. I would be interested to know what distance, (or length of time), other people think is optimal for their dog. My other dog has always been terrified of the beast, and says there is no way that she is going near it when it's on!
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
I would be interested to know what distance, (or length of time), other people think is optimal for their dog.
I know I personally leave my dogs on it for the amount of time (or km) their walks usually take.. around 5 km for my Boston and Bospin and about 2 km (or whenever he starts to get tired) for my Mastiff. I also set the speed to whatever looks to be a comfortable walking speed for them. My Boston can go for a few minutes of jogging time on it sometimes too.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 11:51 AM
We do not own a treadmill. I have seen dogs cruelly chained to them and forced to walk on them. I can't see the video on this kindle, but I think that as long as the dogs don't hate it, then it's fine. Think if you have to chain them to it, they don't like it and it shouldn't be used.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2014, 11:56 AM
If I had space for a treadmill I think it would be ideal for Pereg for the times I cannot take her out, as she needs far more exercise than I am able to give her at times - but obviously it would be up to her whether she wanted to use it or not.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
I know I personally leave my dogs on it for the amount of time (or km) their walks usually take.. around 5 km for my Boston and Bospin and about 2 km (or whenever he starts to get tired) for my Mastiff. I also set the speed to whatever looks to be a comfortable walking speed for them. My Boston can go for a few minutes of jogging time on it sometimes too.
For Ed's half a kilometre I usually mix the paces - a steady walk to begin, then a smart trot, followed by a loose walk to relax his muscles again. He is not fastened, I stand by his side, and keep him in the Heelwork position by rewarding with an occasional cat treat. This routine takes about 10 minutes in all. I can't say for certain, but think if I tried to extend it by any great amount he might become less enthusiastic.
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
We do not own a treadmill. I have seen dogs cruelly chained to them and forced to walk on them. I can't see the video on this kindle, but I think that as long as the dogs don't hate it, then it's fine. Think if you have to chain them to it, they don't like it and it shouldn't be used.
I agree completely, if the dog clearly does not enjoy it or needs to be forced to stay on then a treadmill should not be used. My older two needed a leash with me coaxing them with treats for the first few uses (just until they got used to the motion of the treadmill) now though they happily jump on it and whine for me to come and turn it on for them haha. Another thing I should add is that they are never left on unsupervised, ever.
If you are able to see the video at some point then you will see my dogs don't even like to wait their turns to hop on there! I am pretty positive its not a negative in any way but also know others maybe don't agree with that.
Really appreciate all the input from others!