View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 06:50 AM
I´m comfused if this is about showing, working or having your dog as a pet??

Somebody?? :smt017
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Housedog
In the members opinion, who benifits most from KC affiliation, Humans or Dogs? I am quite certain that the human gets the most advantage out of this marriage.
Couldn't answer that I have never owned a KC registered dog, most of the dogs I have ever had in my life have been pets/working dogs (working being collies) and therefore KC registration was of little importance. I am sure there are many advantages and disadvantages as with most things.

i would rather go to a fun day show or an open show and see kids having fun with their dogs and the money goes to charity or something, that should be what dog showing should be all about
Totally agree with you Spider, I've visited a few KC dog shows (mostly Stafford shows) and a few of the "alternative" (Reids, Mastini etc) shows and I have to say 9 times out of 10 I would put money on it that the dogs at the alternative shows, which are held mostly outside, taking part in the athletic events like a-frame and weightpull seem to have a much better time as they are mentally challenged in some way rather than going through the stress of sitting around for hours then going into the show ring (although I am sure there are some dogs that enjoy the ring too).

It would be nice to see more variety at KC shows like agility or something like that (before the dog then competes in the conformation events), because as well as getting a pretty dog your also gettnig something that can actually move around and has at least some level of fitness as whilst the show ring is all about looks and a good looking dog is great - what use is a good looking dog when it is unfit or unable to move properly or walk a few meters without wheezing?

Laura
pete
Almost a Veteran

15-03-2005, 08:35 AM
laura why do you constantly imply show dogs are always unfit or unable to move properly or walk a few meters without wheezing?

if you dont like the show world fine but posting all the time there like this is realy unfair and untrue.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by pete
laura why do you constantly imply show dogs are always unfit or unable to move properly or walk a few meters without wheezing?

if you dont like the show world fine but posting all the time there like this is realy unfair and untrue.
I never say they are ALL unfit Pete (far from it) but from what I have seen (and I can only go by my own experiences) the majority of shows I have been to the majority of dogs tend to be overweight and not quite as fit as you imagine they should be and it is usually these dogs that win and the decent dogs that get looked over....like I say I can only draw conclusions from my own experiences and so far this is what I have found
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 08:44 AM
to be honest with you, i didnt see ANY unfit wheezy dogs in the Stafford ring at crufts, so i am not sure what shows you have been to Laura
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Well my point was not to single out Staffords nor was it to bad mouth the KC circles, each to their own (and its been over a zillion times), like I say there are some excellent dogs too I did not say ALL were unfit. Wasnt Cassanova the winner of the Stafford group Emma? I have heard a lot about this dog from people who have met him (show people too) and not much of it is good.

My point was aimed at wouldnt it be a good idea to bring in some other tasks to the shows like agility as well as the dogs just standing around? As well as being good for the dogs physically dont you think it would be good mentally too? What do you think?
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 08:52 AM
i am sure kazz said that they did have staffs doing agility there (didnt see it though)
pete
Almost a Veteran

15-03-2005, 08:57 AM
like ive said a few times laura you never say its the minority that may look unfit ,from what i can see from your posts it looks as tho your implying they are all like that.even tho you might not use the word all.and dont forget these are pets first and foremost not working or weightpullers who correct me if im wrong are put through a keep to get them in that shape before a show or what ever they do so not looking like that all year round.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Pete I did not say they were in the minority, if you read my post properly you will see I said the majority are usually unfit and overweight with the decent minority of dogs getting looked over. I mean you just have to look at the pictures of the Mastiffs for example with rolls of fat. Not all breeds or dogs are like this but the bullier dogs are a good example, they seem to get wider, shorter and stockier all the time.

I am not suggesting these dogs need to be mega fit, stripped out or put through a "keep" all I am saying is some kind of test before the dogs enter the conformation ring would be good as it shows how well they can move and how fit they are as well as being good lookers, that is what it should be about. Some people do condition their dogs for these events and your right these dogs dont look like this all year but I guess the way they look unconditioned would be a step up from a lot of the dogs that are shown.

Laura
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 09:13 AM
I would love to see more working dogs having a working title, there are so few of them who even enter the actual working trial section - here is an example

WORKING TR - Bitch
Entries:1 Abs:0 1st DRUMMAJOR GOOD LUCK CHARM CFEX UDEX (MRS R A HODNETT)

Only one entry for Rottie bitches and I couldn't see any for dogs - what a great pity. Nice to see more entries for the Good Citizen class, but it isn't exactly stretching them!

I'd like it to be more like Germany, whereby the dog cannot get the title of Champion unless it has passed the working qualification also - but this will never happen and cause uproar no doubt!
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »