Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mazgoodgirl
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2018, 02:31 PM

Is 8mths to old to train off a lead?

I have a 8 month Cavador who has some training but he has no interest in bringing a toy/ball back even from the garden.

I really want to let him off the lead when we go to local parks/beaches but am worried that he will not come back as he does not do simple recall in the garden, plus we have no areas that are fenced in.

Since joining I have read about a few local places to take him that are fenced in.

Any advice on how to start recall in a fenced off area that are occupied by other dogs who will obviously attract his attention more than the treats I have.

TIA
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by mazgoodgirl View Post
I have a 8 month Cavador who has some training but he has no interest in bringing a toy/ball back even from the garden.

I really want to let him off the lead when we go to local parks/beaches but am worried that he will not come back as he does not do simple recall in the garden, plus we have no areas that are fenced in.

Since joining I have read about a few local places to take him that are fenced in.

Any advice on how to start recall in a fenced off area that are occupied by other dogs who will obviously attract his attention more than the treats I have.

TIA
How long have you had him?
mazgoodgirl
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2018, 03:15 PM
We have had him 5 months now.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Does he recall at home? I always start with hide and seek indoors then expand into the garden including garage etc. When they reliably do this 100% I progress further but not until they respond 100% of the time at home.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2018, 03:49 PM
We have had him 5 months now.
Hi and welcome!
We got a rescue dog about three years ago when he was about one year old according to the vet. Picked up as a stray so no prior history.

We too, were concerned about letting him off the lead. A guy a few doors down from us gave us a piece of advice.
Leave the lead on, just let go of it. That way you will have something to get hold of if you need to.

So that's what we did. He was fine. Didn't do a runner. In fact, stayed close. So we took it off. That was four weeks into our ownership. The rest is, as they say, history. I've just come back from a long walk. No lead required. That said, I do take a lead just in case.

I don't know if it will work for your dog. We just don't take the risk if we are near traffic. I suggest you don't either.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2018, 05:47 PM
LONG LINE TRAINING/SOUND RECALLS. Lancing Canine Obedience Group

The most frustrating thing for an owner to have to contend with, when first letting their dog off lead, is to have the dog not come back when called. There are many reasons for a dog not to want to back, but this does not help when you are running around like a headless chicken trying to catch your dog. The first thing is, after you have caught the dog, don’t get cross but go home and have a cup of tea and then get a long line/long light weight lead. About 15/20 feet should be enough depending on dog. Then start, at first, in your hall, as this is probably the longest enclosed space that you have access to. Attach the lead to the dog and make the dog sit at heel and then walk away, letting the lead slowly extend until it is not quite taught. Turn, and get the dogs attention by using its name and then when it has its attention on you call it to you with the sound come, gathering up the lead as the dog comes to you so that it does not get tight or tangled. Make it sit and praise verbally in a nice kind voice. When you think the dog has got the hang of this you can then progress to the garden, repeat the same thing, making sure that the lead never goes tight. When you think the dog has learnt this, progress to where you would go for exercise. Keep the dog on the long line/lead and let it unravel as the dog goes away from you, before it goes tight call the dog by name and when it looks at you give it a verbal signal, such as ‘Come’ and also an open arm signal. Keep calling the dog all the time it is coming to you in an excited voice. Make the dog sit when it arrives in front and praise verbally. If the dog starts to slow down, start running backwards, making sure that you don’t fall over or let go of the lead. Keep calling in an excited, enticing voice, and praise the dog when it eventually arrives in front of you. Until the dog starts to respond quickly on line do not let it off lead until it starts to come off lead in your hall. Only then start to do this in the garden off lead if you are sure that the dog is coming every time indoors off lead. When the dog is coming every time in the garden off lead without hesitation progress to outside eg: park etc. that is safe and enclosed as much as it can be. Always make yourself inviting and have a distraction to get the dogs attention, like a squeaky toy or ball. If the dog is very food orientated then use some of its dinner to reinforce the come. During the week, use the dog’s dinner as a reinforcer for everything that you teach the dog, instead of titbits/extra treats. This way the dog works for you and its dinner and not extra treats.
Never rush this exercise. If you cannot let your dog off lead for a few weeks to run around then take up jogging or walk that little bit further with your dog to give it the exercise that you think it needs. You can still throw a ball or toy for the dog to bring back on a long line, this actually makes the dog interact more with you and not want to go off and seek other stimulating activities. If there are two of you, play piggy in the middle, with the dog in the middle trying to catch the ball. Don’t always let the dog have the ball, this will keep the attention and excitement more inviting. Eventually, you will be able to let your dog off lead but always reinforce the training at intervals during each week with the long lead.
Points to remember:
• Never let the long line or lead get taught.
• Always make sure the dog is looking at you before you call.
• Make sure that you are inviting and not stern.
• Don’t always give treats or food. Use verbal praise in a kind voice when the dog responds.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2018, 06:02 PM
I guess we just got lucky.
We can walk for an hour in companionable quiet.
If I take a different route "this way" is all I need to say.
Lucky? Maybe.
mazgoodgirl
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Thanks all for the advice. We are going to start in enclosed dog areas & see how we go.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Thanks all for the advice. We are going to start in enclosed dog areas & see how we go.
Good idea. I wish you both luck!.