Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Low protein food?

We've just been told that our new rescue EBT (who we are picking up Sunday) has not been walked very much due to the owners recently separating, but she has been fed working dog food, which is apparently high protein, so she is very hyper. So, I'm just wondering what we should feed her when we get her?

Storm gets Simpsons Premium - Salmon & Potato, which is 25% protein and he also has AG Partners and ND tinned/pouched food mixed in with kibble. Would this be ok to feed our new girl?

I'm not sure which working food she has been fed, but I will try and find out.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd feed it to her and see how she goes. The fact she's not been walked much (and I'm assuming not had much else done with her either) is probably a big factor in how "hyper" she is. And just because they say she's hyper doesn't necessarily mean you'll find her to be hyper One persons reasonably active is another persons "OMG, so hyper I can't handle it!" as I've found out.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Will the rescue be giving you any of her usual food, or can you get the same one locally?

It would be a good idea to keep her on it for at least the first week before you make any gradual changes. It's going to be a stressful time for her (and you!) and in many animals this affects their digestion, so if she did have the squits you will know it's just stress and not a reaction to the new food. Also stress can make them more vulnerable to picking up a bug.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'd feed it to her and see how she goes. The fact she's not been walked much (and I'm assuming not had much else done with her either) is probably a big factor in how "hyper" she is. And just because they say she's hyper doesn't necessarily mean you'll find her to be hyper One persons reasonably active is another persons "OMG, so hyper I can't handle it!" as I've found out.
Completely agree with this. She will be "hyper" due to lack of exercise rather than her food.

The food you are feeding will be fine for her. Just wean her off whatever she is on now to your food over a period of a week or so.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I was once told by a pet food company, that the ONLY reason they put "working dog" on any food is to avoid the vat, so it ends up cheaper, nothing to do with the higher protein they said, so hopefully, your new food shouldn't really make any difference. Maybe somebody else knows different, but that's what they said, coz I was worried my dog wasn't actually a working dog lol!

Lack of exercise will make any dog climb the walls, so once he gets settled and is taken out for regular walks, he should calm down nicely.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks everyone!

I agree, it is probably more likely to be just the fact that she hasn't been walked very much that she's so hyper!

We will wean her off the food gradually. I think it's some kind of Purina food she's been fed on, so we will probably get some of that supplied with her.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 10:01 PM
What is "high" protein?

Why do you think there is a link between protein content and hyperactivity?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What is "high" protein?
Why do you think there is a link between protein content and hyperactivity?
Hold on SB This may be what Storm's been told by the rescue. It's not the right time to argue the toss.... not until SP has her dog I also think lack of exercise - and possibly lack of mental stimulation - is the first point to be addressed.

Many if not most dogs come out of rescue in a fuzzy shape both physically and mentally.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Hold on SB This may be what Storm's been told by the rescue. It's not the right time to argue the toss.... not until SP has her dog I also think lack of exercise - and possibly lack of mental stimulation - is the first point to be addressed.

Many if not most dogs come out of rescue in a fuzzy shape both physically and mentally.

Er I just asked a couple of questions?

I quite agree that it is lack of physical and mental exercise and expectation management.

However when I read posts that make statements such as this I will always challenge old wives tales.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Er I just asked a couple of questions?
Oy stobbit, I am not having a go! Sorry if it came over that way. I think we're all on the same hymn sheet... and as I know SP personally, I'm here and ready to help in any way I can

(Also I have a secret loooove for BTs).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >