Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mgorsira
New Member!
Male 

14-02-2018, 12:38 AM

Two old dogs, One getting aggressive after new puppy

Anybody have ideas to help. I have a 12 year old Male Basset and a 7 year old female German Shepherd that have gotten along fine for years.
Now we've introduced a 7 week old male German Shepherd puppy.
The Basset is getting aggressive toward the older Shepherd.

Any ideas on what to do. I've tried holding him down till he 'submits' but this isn't helping. I've done this twice, maybe three times so far.

Any ideas?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2018, 01:00 AM
These Alpha Roll methods have largely been discredited. You could even be making things worse, and you also stand a good chance of getting bitten in the process. Try to reassure your Bassett that he is still a valued member of the pack. He is an old man who is feeling overpowered, and he deserves to be reassured, not dominated.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Pinning the older dog down is not going to help. He probably feels put out his space has been invaded and is lashing out at the other dog. You give no info on how you've introduced the dogs either so it's hard to comment.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2018, 01:06 PM
You've altered the pack dynamics and your old bassett is not a happy bunny. Punishing him is absolutely not the way forward, he has done nothing wrong. I think he could be asserting his authority over the rest of his pack - ie the 7 year old GSD - to remind the GSD who is boss and also to demonstrate to the young interloper that HE is pack leader and he had better take heed.

This is all perfectly natural behaviour, but it needs watching as a basset hound is not to be trifled with - they are large powerful hounds - but my guess is he is just flexing his muscles in the best way he can - by reminding the 7 year old GSD that he is boss and demonstrating to the youngster the behaviour required of him.

It is certainly not a case of redirected aggression, I think this is humans being anthropomorphic, I would very much doubt the youngster is at risk of serious injury - it is very important how they were introduced in the first place. I would love to know!
mgorsira
New Member!
Male 

15-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Thank you all for the very good advice. My wife and I both took turns sitting on the floor with the Basset to assure him he's ok. We have 3/4 acre fenced in yard and although we interact with them a lot we seldom take walks with them. I took a walk with the basset to give him some 1:1 bonding. It worked, his attitude has greatly improved. Thank you.

On another note, our pup appears to be having growing pains. I googled, it and other then no lameness he's had two bouts of extreme pain for no apparent reason. panosteitis / Growing pain looks to be what it is. I have a vet appointment tonight.

In answer to one question, how did we introduce the pup. We had the dogs in a kennel while we took a trip and picked up the puppy. We had the pup lay on a towel for the two days we were traveling and visiting a friend.
We left the puppy at home in a crate when picking up the dogs. I had the 'scented' towel in the truck cab when we picked up the dogs.The dogs came into the house with the puppy in the crate. We didn't let the puppy out until the other dogs showed calm signs. took about 30 seconds. Still, after about 5 minutes we let him out.
I know, not the ideal way. should have had them meet in neutral territory but.. it is what it is. Now just a matter of letting them establish the pack order.
I'm more ok with the inevitable dog 'bickering' then my wife is. I know "typically" dogs don't hurt puppies. but I also believe in.. I could be wrong. Thus, me joining this forum. And so far, glad I did.

Thanks again folks.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Welcome!!

We are a friendly bunch!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2018, 10:52 PM
Sounds like you've got it pretty much under control to me and anyway it's not always practical to introduce them on neutral territory, I usually do introductions in the garden and never had a problem yet.