View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amelia S
New Member!
Female 

27-09-2013, 03:43 AM

What is a "boutique" dog walking service?

Hi there!

I just encountered this term, "boutique dog walking service", and I'm wondering what is the difference between this and a regular dog walking service. Can someone help me?
Thanks!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 06:39 AM
I have no idea, but she probably just wants to stick out from the crowd, like she has done with you?! I doubt she's really thought about it enough to actually PUT the boutique into her services, but maybe ring her and ask. Very odd isn't it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 07:15 AM
The word 'boutique' is (usually) used to denote a 'small' business. Like boutiques used to be small dress shops. I am guessing they are not a 'big' business. Hope that helps but I might be completely wrong and it could just be because they thought it sounded 'special' as Helena said.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Could mean she thinks she is worth more of these for her services...

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Boutique is of course the French word for 'shop'

Common definition here:
A business that serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele.

Of course these days you see 'boutique' hotels and all sorts generally just meaning they are small. (And maybe exclusive lol!)

*on the other hand, if a small more personal service was going to mean better attention to my dog - I'd be happy to pay more for it!
Caramel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2013, 09:29 AM
It might be that it is similar to the term "Boutique Hotel" (originating from the US) which means a small, individual hotel, run by the owner themselves as opposed to a bigger "company"/"chain" where you have employees and standardised procedures.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2013, 01:02 PM
My first and yes rather cynical thought is - more expensive
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Yes well, if 'boutique' is used to denote 'exclusive' ... exclusive is usually more expensive!

At the end of the day you want someone you can trust with your dog when you can't be there for them. Price would not be the prime consideration for me in those circumstances.

It occurs to me that they might be using this to denote that they do not take loads of dogs out together at the same time. When I lived in Paignton there were 'dog walkers' who'd turn up to the local walk areas in a huge van. Let out 12 or more dogs and then try to keep them all under control (failing abysmally usually) or getting 6 or more of them tangled up on leads. As for picking up dog poo - fergit it! Never happened. Now they might have been budget priced - I don't have a clue what they charged but there's no WAY I'd want them to have been walking my dog. Quite apart from the fact that they had to go to all the different addresses to get them so the first one picked up and put in the van would have been in there quite a while as they drove to all the other addresses and of course the last one put in probably didn't get much of a walk.

Owners being at work wouldn't see any of this. Other dog owners like me did.

You need to check them out personally and get recommendations.
Amelia S
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks so much for all your responses! I thought it may be of high class or something like that, but it didn't occur to me that they can imply small and exclusive. I'm going to call them, and maybe it's good to go check them out in person!