Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:18 PM

Hypothyroidism and Anal Furuncuosis :(

A few weeks back I noticed Zak was alway thirsty and hungry. So much so that he was snatching food off the boys and going in rubbish bags. Which he has never done.

We took him to the vets which is an ordeal in itself with him. They had to sedate him to take bloods I took a urine sample which showed nothing as I thought it was diabetes given his age (9). They had to take blood from his jugular as the sedative caused his veins to collapse.

I waited till he was asleep, cut his claws while he was then they took the bloods and thoroughly checked him over as this is impossible awake. They then reversed him and he took ages to comne round sleepy boy. They had the results in 10 minutes everything was ok apart from his pacreas levels where a bit high I think. So the vet said he wanted to send away for his thyroid to be checked. The results showed hypothyroidism for which he was given hormone tabs twice a day. I noticed a difference within days.

Then while we was away mum phoned to say he was bleeding from his bottom, panic set in we were 250 miles away. He had had an anal abcess previoulsy and I thought it might be that again. Mum took him to the vets they agreed and put him on abs and meloxydil and said they wanted to sedate him to check it all out. Any way they find he has had an abcess which has burst and caused a hole from his anus to the side, the vet could actually poke his finger through . Poor lad had never let on he was in apin he played and ate as usual. All the bloods again have come back clear as has the swabs.

The vet now wants to put him on atopica as he thinks is def now furunculosis . He will get these tomorrow. The vet thinks there is a possible link with the hypothyroidism too. We have reduced the hormones as his last bloods were too high.

So does anybody have any information/experience of these conditions? At the minute he has a hole that is open but clean he never bothers with it not even a lick or a sniff. Its not oozing but looks horrible poor lad. He is on meloxydil permanent anywat for HD. I just think that its now one thing after another and that my time with him could be short now . He is still playing, cheeky, eating and most def happy and bright so no where near the end yet. But is there a way forward at this age?

sorry for the ramble
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I had a friend who controlled the funclerosis (sp) for a long while with diet. Have a look around on line there are bound to be a lot of ideas.

Good luck.

rune
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I had a friend who controlled the funclerosis (sp) for a long while with diet. Have a look around on line there are bound to be a lot of ideas.

Good luck.

rune
oooh I shall have a look at that thanks x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-06-2011, 05:44 AM
No experience of it sorry.

Sending (((hugs))) though and hope he will be with you for a lot longer yet. X
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Oh crikey...... poor lad.

Roxy hay Hypothyroidism which was controlled very well with drugs.

Hope you can get this sorted, Mel xxx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Not sure if it will help, but you may like to Google for Dr Jean Dodds as she is "the" expert on hypothyroidism, and if there is any info regarding it and anal furunculosis, she may have written about it

Other than that, as he's sadly got it now, I guess it's a matter of finding out as much as you can about it and treating him accordingly.

Sorry to read about it, it's hard when dogs become unwell, isn't it?

Hopefully he can continue happily with your care and his best welfare at heart

Wys
x