Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
My Henry had been "run on" by his breeder

I went to her as I knew she very often had slightly older dogs that she had on a back burner, we didn't want a baby puppy and I wanted something of show quality so needed to make sure teeth and testicles were ok.

Penny was running on Henry, he hadn't been shown, (she very often brings dogs out at 3 years + and makes them up immediately), she said she had been holding onto him as he was too good just to be a pet, although he makes a wonderful pet, and our home sounded ideal for him

If I am in the position to have another, I would probably go through the same route as I would want another that could come to the shows with us, it would be unfair if one had to stay at home...I couldn't do that so would then feel I had to stop showing Hen.

The good thing about doing it this way is you can see more or less the finished article, Hen was 13 months old when we got him but I could see he had everything I was looking for. This obviously wouldn't come into it if you are not looking to do a hobby with the dog, but I would definately do it again
Thanks Scorpio. Great to hear from someone who has been down this route - and it has clearly worked well for you

I am not interested in showing though, so it wouldn't really matter to me if the dog I got wasn't show standard - temperament and health would be more important.

As most people know, I am a longcoat GSD fan, and that would be the slight sticking point for me that I will have to think about, as the breeder does occasionally have longcoat pups in her litters (she breeds show, standard coated dogs) but will not run on a longcoat, so any dog I did get would be a standard coat. Her dogs are really gorgeous though, so I think I could be swayed
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I only know personally one breeder of GSDs and she doens't erun on her dogs. If she did, I'd certainly have one, or two, or three.....

She breeds standard/short coat B&T and sables - both of which I love to bits.

I'd take on any age dog from her as I know they're kept well and treated properly throughout their lives and not left in kennels. They live in and are part of the family. Of course I'd prefer a younger one so I can be involved in the showing but tbh it doesn't really matter that much. I knwo I'll show in the future so one dog not being shown wouldn't make a great difference to me.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Three years ago my manager took on a border collie that had been run on (presumably show) and she is delighted with him. Although she has had collies before she said he is very special, really affectionate and a joy to own.

Are you thinking of getting a Conbhairean shepherd?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Three years ago my manager took on a border collie that had been run on (presumably show) and she is delighted with him. Although she has had collies before she said he is very special, really affectionate and a joy to own.

Are you thinking of getting a Conbhairean shepherd?
Great news about your manager's BC

I will PM you
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
THe first one was a dog that was run on to show, but his legs got too long so my mother got him at 8 months.

I loved him, too big for breed standard and a lovely caramel colour he was very much a male he would have been a good show dog (if he had met the standard) because of his "look at me" attitude.

He used to mark a lot indoors.

TBF my mother is crap with dogs and lets them get away with murder so a lot of his behaviour could have been stopped.

When he died at 16 she got another one, an ex stud dog aged about 7, he had rotten teeth already, and was very bossy.

When I visited I used to take him out wth my two Weims and he was not a problem (probably knackered trying to keep up) but my mother could never let him off the lead.

He lived until 17, had a lot of gums..........

Would things have been any different had she had them from a pup? Probably not in all honesty.
Thanks SB-they lived to a good age.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Thanks SB-they lived to a good age.

That of course depends on your point of view...........

The first one ate a 2lb box of Thornton's chocolates which was a gift to me by my boss.

He was lucky he survived the night!

To add insult to injury he was not ill at all!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
That of course depends on your point of view...........

The first one ate a 2lb box of Thornton's chocolates which was a gift to me by my boss.

He was lucky he survived the night!

To add insult to injury he was not ill at all!
You've reminded me of something now SB!
My 2nd Cairn terrier Angus (who was also a large male dog) ate ALL our Christmas chocolate the 1st Christmas we had him! He ate about 10 boxes of chocolates including one box of liquers. It was amazing how he had done it as their weren't even tooth marks on the After Eight wrappers!
I will always remember hearing my Mum scream that Christmas morning as she had opened the living room door (the dogs slept downstairs) and the entire 30 foot lounge was strewn with chocolate wrappers. He wasn't sick or ill and he even wanted his dinner later that day!
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit dumb here, but can you explain what run-on means? I've never heard the term before.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Millysmum View Post
Maybe I'm being a bit dumb here, but can you explain what run-on means? I've never heard the term before.
when say 2 puppies from the litter are kept on instead of being sold at 8 weeks, to see which puppy has the better qualities for the breeder to keep, be it show conformation, working instinct etc. the one that is the best is kept at the breeders and the other sold on as an older dog, sometimes is 6 months, could be a year etc.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3