Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2020, 09:10 PM

Flushed a hare

Hi all,

So out on our lovely night walk tonight, Lily off and on lead as we pass through fields, I put her onlead as we leave one field and enter another, just to make sure it’s safe for her to go off and there is no livestock about.

So we are in a pretty secure field and she having a fun time in all the undergrowth and hunting, all of a sudden a hare comes running out at speed, Lily was still in the undergrowth at this point, I shouted holy bleep it’s a hare, and seems I made a bit of a mistake, I recalled Lily and put her onlead, I didn’t want her chasing, what I should have done was put her in a sit and wait. My friend also recalled her dogs as she didn’t want them chasing either.

Anyhow I guess I will make mistakes and we are both learning together lol
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2020, 07:18 AM
Well done you on having a good recall. Instead of sit and wait an instant down is better and then go to her to put on lead. But brilliant response. You must be very proud of your training and her.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2020, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Well done you on having a good recall. Instead of sit and wait an instant down is better and then go to her to put on lead. But brilliant response. You must be very proud of your training and her.
I was, however a day later, she completely ignored me first time she's done that, so back on her line, whilst we work on recall a bird she wanted to chase is far more interesting than me
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2020, 06:38 AM
Liver cake is the answer and only when she is really good. I see so many random people give treats for dogs just because.... Good on yer. Keep going. One thing you could try is sit on the ground and pretend to have found something really interesting. Keep half an eye to see what she is doing and that should work. Try it and see.Dogs are notoriously nosey and hate to miss out on something.