register for free

Dog News

Dog owners warned about new tick disease

I've just been reading about this on the BBC website.
We should all stay vigilant.

Dog owners in the UK are being warned about an outbreak of an animal disease that is carried by ticks.

It is the first time that experts have established an outbreak of babesiosis in the country.

In Essex, two dogs have died and three others needed blood transfusions after contracting the disease.

Experts say that it will be impossible to stop the spread of the disease, which is caused by a single-celled parasite.

The ticks carrying the Babesia canis parasite have been found in fields in Harlow, Essex. The local council has put up a sign with a map defining the area and advising dog walkers not to enter.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-en...815813?SThisFB

Your comments and views:
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-03-2016, 10:11 AM
OMG that is so scary
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Very frightening I agree. A friend I use to walk with posted this elsewhere Gorden and I did share it. It wasn't on the areas we use to walk or where we lived but not that far away.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Worrying isn't it
I have a routine with Chloe, when we have been for our walk x3 every day I wash her legs and beard partly to remove the mud but also to try to prevent her bringing anything home on her legs.
Then a quick once over with the brush while keeping an eye out for anything that shouldn't be there. I appreciate this is more difficult to accomplish for multiple dog households but with one small dog it doesn't take long and is worth it if it keeps her healthy.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Like you Meg, I have to make sure Amber is free of any friends when she gets home. She is de-flea-ed once a month but I am not happy that this enough. I have a wire rake brush which is pretty good to make sure she is clear of anything else.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top