View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Best way to start in Agility and Obedience?

Hello, I'm a newbie to training and wondered which is the best way to start training in agility and obedience for a border collie pup?
I won't have him until 20th August he will be 7 weeks, so I have ages to learn and get peoples opinions and advice.
Thanks.
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I would find a good club in your area, go along to watch a class and make sure you are happy with their training methods. For agility look on www.agilitynet.com clubs A-Z although you won't be able to do any training on equipment until your pup is a year old most clubs have a long waiting list and some clubs do puppy agility, doing exercises with agility in mind. If you do do obedience and want to do agility make sure your pup doesn't do everything on your left, do some heelwork on your right, just give it a different command.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Joanna Hill's Motivation dvd is excellent and full of information on puppy training. But it is a bit expensive.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi. I can't offer any obedience advice as I'm just a dabbler but have a few ideas re agility. One of the most important things you can teach him, he's stunning by the way, is to love to play with you. If you have a collie that interacts with you and a toy training him for agility will be so much easier. If you can teach him to chase balls out and bring them back, sometimes drop them and sometimes play a little tuggy game. Also teach him to run out to a dead toy and fetch it back, sometimes as he starts to run back run away from him and then when he catches you up make a big fuss of him and have another game of tuggy. Playing tug is great for agility training as you can use it heaps as a reward, I have a huge lanky collie but he has fab turns as he is mental for his toy. A good wait is a boon. When he's a bit older see if you can get him to turn with your body, so have him jogging loosely next to you off lead then do a quick about turn calling his name excitedly soon as he gets to you play tug, you can build that up to do a few turns and then reward. He'll think you are exciting and will always turn towards you when you call his name and will learn to be aware of your body.

Hope that's of some help and looking forward to seeing more piccies!
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the replies so far!