Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Possible separation anxiety

I am on my 1st dog although i live with a 3 yr old gsd aswel i have just moved back home after been awsy for 4 years so i didnt have anything to do with training Marla (3yr old) puppy training is coming along very well, still a long way to go though, kaya (puppy) has v bad seperation issues, she cries as soon as i leave the room... Any good advice on how to handle that?

Adam
HannahnMaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Adamyork View Post
I am on my 1st dog although i live with a 3 yr old gsd aswel i have just moved back home after been awsy for 4 years so i didnt have anything to do with training Marla (3yr old) puppy training is coming along very well, still a long way to go though, kaya (puppy) has v bad seperation issues, she cries as soon as i leave the room... Any good advice on how to handle that?

Adam
Bryn does exactly the same, he will cry and jump at the door if we shut the door on him. im hoping he will grow out of it once he realises we arent going to abandon him. never had any trouble with Maggie
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Hello Adam how old is your puppy.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Adam you haven't replied but while I have a moment I will answer you anyway.
It is normal behaviour for little puppies who have left the protection of their dam to 'call for' protection when left alone.

This is one reason I always have new puppies with me at night in a box next to my bed. Not only is this a help with house training (because the puppy will wake me when it needs to go out) it also helps with the bonding process and if combined with teaching the puppy to be left alone gradually it helps to prevent the puppy being fearful when left alone and going on to develop separation anxiety.

Real separation anxiety as opposed to a puppy being scared when left alone is characterised by behaviour like shaking, crying, soiling, dribbling, excessive chewing .

Dogs are very social animals and I think it is natural for them to dislike being alone, some cope better with separation than others , I think this depends partly on their disposition and also how they have been taught to cope with separation from being puppies.

You can get a puppy accustom to being left alone.
What you are trying to achieve is to teach the puppy..
..your not being there is no big deal,
..when you leave you will always return,
..when you are with him he will not automatically get your attention all the time,
..he will get attention when you are ready,

You can only do this slowly and it may take some time.
First take puppy out to relieve himself, (so you know he does not need to go) then using the room he spends the most time in and where his bed is, go out of the room ignoring him and close the door (the bed should be comfortable with a toy and something you have worn like a tee shirt).
..after just a moment return to the room and do something like going in the cupboards ignoring puppy, no word no eye contact,
...go in and out of the room a few times always shutting the door and ignoring puppy both when you leave the room and return. If he is whining or making any sound wait for a pause and go back only when he is quiet
...eventually go back in the room and perform some task or sit with a book still ignoring puppy, remember no word no eye contact,
...when he is quiet and not bothering you speak to him and give him lots of praise,
...you need to do this exercise a few times each day, vary the length of time you stay out of the room and gradually increase it. Progress to leaving the house for a few moments following the same ignore/no fuss routine.

Also try leaving the radio on with a voice programme, this will mask the sound of your movements and be comforting to puppy.

If you have not already done so get an interesting safe toy like a stuffed kong to occupy him.

If it really is SA there are advanced forms of desensitisation to absence using 'cues' but I think these are best demonstrated by qualified behaviourist.
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hello Adam how old is your puppy.
Hello, she is 4 months old.

Thanks for the help, i will try that

she did improve a few weeks ago but she got ill so i let her sleep in my room so i could keep and eye on her and after she got better she was terrified of being left alone again.

i think if i persist in doing what you suggested she will learn not to be so upset as she is a quick learner and i find it easy to teach her simple commands etc.

Adam
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I was not familiar with the term 'separation anxiety' when I got a Cavalier KCS. However, I had been told not to get one if I went out to work or it would be left alone for more than a few hours as it would soon turn from a happy waggy dog into a whiney miserable one.

I gradually got it used to being left for an hour or two but as I didn't work and lived in West Cornwall didn't ever really have to leave her alone.

Then I moved to Devon and had to take a job outside the home for 4-5 hrs a day.

I started by leaving her for half hour. No fuss when I left - took her out immediately before leaving and just said 'wont be long wont be long' (or could have said anything but just used a reassuring tone).

Made NO fuss at all when I returned - in fact tried to ignore her going nuts (she went just as nuts if I returned after 5 mins as she did if it was 2 hrs!)

Then I gradually built up the time she was left until I could happily leave her for 4hrs before starting the job.

In the end to my utter DELIGHT she didn't even TRY to come with me or get out of her bed once we'd returned from her quick 'pre separation' walkies and I'd said 'won't be long'. She didn't even expect to come with me the second time I left - or so it seemed.

I don't think I could ever have achieved this without taking her out first.

I do the same thing with the dog I have now. If I am going anywhere I take her out first even if only round the block for a couple of minutes. She too seems to understand that she is NOT coming if I go out again immediately after we return. With her (being tiny and young) I crated her before leaving her. She'd go in the crate with no bother and did not go nuts when I got back. I soon stopped having to crate her as she seemed to understand and would go jump onto my bed or the couch if she saw me getting ready to 'go again'.