Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Mcafee Subscription

Not sure this is in the right place............

I always go to Curry's or Comet after Christmas to get the best deals on Mcafee, but last year Mcafee sent us an e-mail offering it through the website for half price.

Now 11 months on, they've took £64.99 from my account. Apparently unless you turn the auto renewal off, it will automatically take the money each year....I didn't know this

I had a look on the site and they're offering Mcafee total protection right now for half the price, so now I have to phone them today for a refund.

I'm not paying £64.99 when I can get the same product for £32...

So just be careful if you set something up like this
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I had Mcafee on my main computer which now is useless as it got attacked shortly after I subscribed.

They are bombarding me with e-mails, apparently my computer is unprotected and they are now offering me a renewal for £25, they must be joking!
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Mcafee and Norton are the worst AVs around Macafee cause software conflict and Norton can actually kill your hard drive If you want a good AV and at a much more reasonable price you should try Avast! and best of all its free!!

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

I've used it for years now (after Norton killed my old PC) and Its great and I just love the price enewal is easy too just click renew after a year and your done again no fee. You can upgrade if you need it for proffessional reasons but then it starts at around £29.99

Learn Direct actually use Avast! as well
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
I agree Norton is terrible!! It slowed my PC down till it was virtually useless I've not used McAffee but they use it in the hospital where I work.
Sophos is also useless! I ended up with a desktop highjacker virus and couldn't get to the desktop icons to access my antivirus.
Funnily enough....after I started it in safe mode the software that got rid of it was a freebie called Super-antispyware! It's very good and is compatible with the Kaspersky AV I now use.
I haven't had a problem with viruses since I bought Kaspersky and it doesn't slow the PC down either.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Ang3l View Post
Mcafee and Norton are the worst AVs around Macafee cause software conflict and Norton can actually kill your hard drive If you want a good AV and at a much more reasonable price you should try Avast! and best of all its free!!

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

I've used it for years now (after Norton killed my old PC) and Its great and I just love the price enewal is easy too just click renew after a year and your done again no fee. You can upgrade if you need it for proffessional reasons but then it starts at around £29.99

Learn Direct actually use Avast! as well
Totally agree! The other good freebie is AVG. I couldnt praise either highly enough.
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Totally agree! The other good freebie is AVG. I couldnt praise either highly enough.
oo I forgot AVG thats a good freebie but not for me as I'm a PC gamer and that just lags me whereas Avast! has a 'gaming mode'
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Mcafee got me like this but luckily they were taking my money via paypal so I complained to paypal, got a refund on what they took and got it cancelled that way as when i got through to Mcafee they said I didn't have an account with them .
I use Avast now which is free and its better than anything I have ever used before.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all the info I'll have a look at Avast now
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
What do you use for a Firewall?

I can't see on the Avast site, anything about firewall, unless I pay x
Velvetboxers