Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 11:19 AM

New Tv help please

OH has just suggested we should each buy each other half a super douper tv for our xmas pressies to each other!!!

I don't want a new TV and least of all as my xmas pressie!!!

Anyway have been looking for him as ifthats what he wants and he has actually shown an interest if I can afford it then I will look at it as an option.

So then, what's the difference between Plasma, LED and LCD? Which is best? Are they all HD ready or do I look for one that has HD in the name of it like Samsung 33" LED HD ready

What is HDMI cable and why would I want one with a TV?

No doubt I will have other questions in a bit!!
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:34 PM
HDMI is High Definition and it gives you a sharper picture, I have my TV and PC running on HD as I'm a gamer I like having HD for online playfor instance before HD when playing Call of Duty I'd have a negative/neutral kill-death ratio now with HD its positive and I even get accused of hacking sometimes lol

Most HD ready TV's will have it in the title or on the discription and most expensive TVs I would expect now to be HD ready!!! You need a HDMI cable to plug into you TV and then to your sky/virgin/freeview box (which also needs to be HD ready) If you have sky+ or virgin+ or the freeview+ you'll need to upgrade these if not. A HD TV will work without a HD cable just plug everything in as normal you just wont be able to use the HD services.

Alot of channels are now in HD and available if you have a HD ready TV some are free others you have to pay for (not worth it IMO).

I don't know what the differnce is between LED,LCD and plasma sorry I have LCDs and that wasn't a choice it was the price I got them for
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:41 PM
I think Ang's said it all there

Nearly ALL tv's will be HD ready in the shops, but just remember you have to fork out on the HD box to benefit from it (with that HDMI cable).

Dave doesn't like the lcd's because if you're not viewing it from bang in front, you can get a kind of distorted picture, say if you're lying on the floor or something (although I have never noticed this, but then he's a man, they know all about tv's). When I say distorted, I mean it's not as clear, it's shadowy sometimes. Therefore, he's always gone for the Plasma's, but personally, I prefer the picture on my 42" lcd in the bedroom, which is set up with the HDMI to my sky box, whereas his new 50" in the lounge IS the plasma. He also says, that the LED is THE one to have if you're buying, they are much better than either the LCD's or the Plasma's in his opinion, being super slim and super expensive!

Maybe he'll be tying a nice big satin bow around your half of it though Lynne!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Dont I have had this conversation for over 2 years now as OH keeps saying that he wants to buy a new TV and he spends so much time researching it, that by the time he has decided they have brought out a newer and better option !! LOL

Its ridiculous, so we still have our old faithful massive telly that weighs a tonne, and is teeny screen because he just cannot decide !!!

Certain sports are better in Plasma etc but then if you play alot of games and pause them etc then you can get plasma screen burn etc!!

but then my mum and dad got a 50" plasma and I dont think the picture is better than my 10yr old telly so what do I know !! LOL
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Great thread. I. am thinking of a new TV too.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone, the one I am looking at at the minute has the following
# Panasonic Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV
# Built-in Freeview digital tuner
# Vreal 4 Engine for smooth crystal clear images and richer colours
# 100Hz technology reduces flicker creating smoother, sharper moving pictures
# 3D comb filter, wide viewing angle ensures clear images even when viewed from an angle
# Viera link
# V-Audio Surround and Dolby® Digital improves depth of sound
# SD card slot for viewing JPEG photos
# PC input, 2 SCART sockets, 3 HDMI sockets
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Sounds good Lynne, but also take a look at the Pioneer version of that one, as Dave would always recommend the Pioneer against the Panasonic (don't ask me why, but he did a lot of research when he started buying these big tv's). Good luck, it'll need lots of wrapping paper too!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks H, will go look for Pioneer.

Strange thing is my dad was a tv engineer most of his working life (he is now 71) and used to have loads of advice or even the ability to get good deals but he knows Nothing anout these new big TVs with HD and all that. He doesn't see the need for me to replace the TV he gave us for the living room which is 22inch screen and also 21" from back to front...takes up an awful lot of room!!! But his answer is "It works doesn't it!!!"
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Different world with these lovely new slimline ones, oh I remember it well, that great big tv we had in the corner all sticking out!

If I were you, I'd get it put on the wall! Mine's on the wall in my bedroom (it's a 42"!!!! ), it covers the whole chimney breasts, but it looks soooooo much better hanging up on the wall, compared to the one in the lounge which isn't. He won't let me get it hung above the fire place for obvious reasons,although I promised him I wouldn't light the fire underneath!!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Different world with these lovely new slimline ones, oh I remember it well, that great big tv we had in the corner all sticking out!

If I were you, I'd get it put on the wall! Mine's on the wall in my bedroom (it's a 42"!!!! ), it covers the whole chimney breasts, but it looks soooooo much better hanging up on the wall, compared to the one in the lounge which isn't. He won't let me get it hung above the fire place for obvious reasons,although I promised him I wouldn't light the fire underneath!!!!
he he, you arent covered under warranty if the panel is above a fire regardless if its lit or not....

my oh is still deliberating his purchase at this rate it will be next christmas!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >