View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Oooh... Good to hear about the Kindle. Was thinking of getting my dad one for his xmas as he is an avid reader but refuses to throw any of his old books out so it would save sooooo much space in their house!!! It's like a library in there as it is!

S x
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I wanted a kindle but I wanted one with a backlight so I can read in the dark!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I wanted a kindle but I wanted one with a backlight so I can read in the dark!
I don't think there is such a thing, Louise. I wanted a backlight too, as I read mostly in bed, but have to lie just one way due to the reading lamp. It's a nuisance.......

rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-10-2010, 09:03 AM
On the subject of such portable keyboardless devices, you might have noticed that Next (Yes, the fashion retailer!) has brought out a 10" Android tablet for £180.

Reading opinions of it, my impression is by all means get one as it's not a bad price but bear in mind that it's less than 1/2 price of the Apple thing. It is a budget device! You can get very similar devices for less £ on Ebay. Also, consider looking at 7" Android tablets as 7" screens are apparently better quaility than budget 10" ones because more people have been making them for a lot longer...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
But is it easy to read can you change the contrast and font size and is the format portrait or landscape I saw some demos on TV and it seemed they are all portrait which seemed crazy to me 'cos you have to move eyes down far more than if it was landscape (Less words on a line)
Yes, you can change the font size really easily. The contrast is brilliant so haven't needed to change it and not sure if it can be changed. You can also change the orientation to landscape
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
On the subject of such portable keyboardless devices, you might have noticed that Next (Yes, the fashion retailer!) has brought out a 10" Android tablet for £180.

Reading opinions of it, my impression is by all means get one as it's not a bad price but bear in mind that it's less than 1/2 price of the Apple thing. It is a budget device! You can get very similar devices for less £ on Ebay. Also, consider looking at 7" Android tablets as 7" screens are apparently better quaility than budget 10" ones because more people have been making them for a lot longer...
I paid £109 for my Kindle.....
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I hadn't really looked into what a Kindle is but it does look pretty nice! As a Linux device under the skin, it would seem to be pretty customisable for anyone with the inclination.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I don't think there is such a thing, Louise. I wanted a backlight too, as I read mostly in bed, but have to lie just one way due to the reading lamp. It's a nuisance.......

NO there isn't..thats why I haven't bought one...SO I will twiddle my thumbs and keep using my Kindle app on my backlitten Iphone LOL until they DO bring one out with a backlight..
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Besides looking cool the iPad is a pretty useless peice of tech when you consider it uses the same OS as the iphone. All you get is a bigger screen really, and if thats all you want id go for an andriod tablet quickly before getting an ipad.

At first the ipad was top of my wishlist but after doing some reading i have realised that apart from the look it offers nothing new to me.

On another note i recently got a HTC desire and i must say i thinks its as good as if not better than the iPhone and you definatley get more for your money.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2