View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surfthetide
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:31 PM
i got a cocker spaniel as a child and mum and dad have had them untill a few years ago when they changed to lancashire heelers( a shock to the sustem!)but i had all ways prefered big dogs,my favorite being rotties and bmd but my circumstances have allways prevented me having a rottie(i looked after 1 that was in police kennels as the owner was arrested and would not sign him over so he was stuck ,so he loved me and i have been smitten since!)unfortunatley i now foster children and my local authority do not permit us to own a rotty. (not unfortunate i foster unfortunate i cant have a rottie!)
my first own dog was a rescue collie but i was going to get a bmd next but was worried as i had heard about nervousness. so i went back to spaniels. the papillion i got for my dog mad daughter to do obedience with but he only loves me!
i got flymo to do obedience and agility with
will get a rottie 1 day !
i think i would have any breed ! used to say apart from jrt but my friend now has a very loving(to people!!) 1
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:34 PM
I went down with a friend that wanted a Lhasa Apso, the woman bred them to show - or so she said - not so sure about that. Anyway my friend chose this little puppy.

Whilst there I saw an older dog running around the yard, when I asked about him - she told me that he had been brought back, was uncontrollable and he lived in the garage and yard. I felt really sorry for him, he had chewed a lot of his hair off. Anyway I came home spoke to my OH about him and we both went back down there. Well that was it, he wouldn't leave my OH alone, and he came home with us.

We're a year down the road now, unfortunately he still chews his hair occasionally, think it became a habit. He is a very loving and happy little dog.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Shaza don't quote me on this but I'm sure someone once told me if they have chewing probs with a wound or like you say chewing hair you can put some geranium oil around the area and it stops them from chewing, I think I've remembered that right, if not maybe someone on here will have heard of the same sort of thing.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Like Luz, I grew up with mainly small dogs, terriers and the like, except a Labrador when I was in my early teens.

So I wanted a big dog when I could finally own one in my home.

We shopped around and studied different breeds of dogs alot, then we came across the Northern Inuit...

Both me and my hubby have had a life long love of wolves, and when we came across this wolf look-a-like we fell in love with the breed...

It was only after some serious research on charecter,tempriment, suitability for us of course the dogs nature and health issues that we then decided the NI was the dog for us, and of course, after a trip to look at NI's in the flesh at the 2006 Northern Inuit Show in Alexandra Park!

We have never for a second regretted our breed of choice, our little girl , Jess, is the best thing that has ever happened to us...

Money and circumstances permitting I know we would get another Northern Inuit.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Good Thread!

I have always loved bcs...but not sure when and how this got started...maybe 1 man & his dog was on a lot when I was younger . Anyway, before we got our family dog (a mongrel) I used to walk to school with my imaginary bc at my side..

As I grew up I read more and more that they should not be kept as pets and had decided that although I loved them, they probably weren't right for me.
This is the reason we began looking round for another breed of dog, I absolutely love Border Collies but I know we couldnt provide the right enviroment and enough exercise for such a energetic breed of dog, I know we could provide more than enough love and devotion, buts that is not enough...

One day, when we win the lottery maybe, we will own a Border Collie, I would like to name him Raffles...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I was never allowed my own dog as a child and so pestered just about every dog owner in the village where I grew up to walk their dogs. They included a colliexlab called PJ, an Irish Setter called Sasha, a rough collie called Han and another called Kym, an ESS called Digger and a longhaired GSD called Mandy. My grandparents had a farm in Ireland where we went every year too for summer holidays and I spent the whole time playing with Timmy and Bimbo the working collies.

I was always obsessed by dogs and would read everything I could get my hands on - especially Joyce Stranger's books, and loved watching anything doggie on TV. Every Christmas and Birthday I would plead for a dog. I lost count of the amount of "stray" dogs I brought home, hoping we might be able to keep one.

GSDs were my first love and Border Collies my close second. I am not really sure where the love of GSDs sprung from, but could have had a lot to do with the Joyce Stranger books I read and also seeing them as beautiful, intelligent, loyal and brave as police dogs on the TV.

My love of collies came from my grandparents having working dogs on their farm and I loved One Man & His Dog when I was a child. So much so, that I wrote to Jim'll Fix It asking Jim to fix it for me to have a go on the One Man & His Dog programme

I always seem to be attracted to larger dogs and especially working and pastoral dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post
This is the reason we began looking round for another breed of dog, I absolutely love Border Collies but I know we couldnt provide the right enviroment and enough exercise for such a energetic breed of dog, I know we could provide more than enough love and devotion, buts that is not enough...

One day, when we win the lottery maybe, we will own a Border Collie, I would like to name him Raffles...
There are a few BCs around that aren't interested in working, so you could look at getting an older BC in the future maybe
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Kyektulu,
Raffles would be a good name

On the off chance that you never win the lottery , you could always think about an older rescue border collie...
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Forgot about the why bit duh ! When we lost Suki I was on the computer every day looking at doggie pics, as you do, we came across a piture of a NI called Jim Brown, I showed the big dog his photo and he was well impressed and said if we get another dog it would have to be a NI so I started digging and looking into the breed ect, I emailed Jim Browns mum and she invited us for a visit, we were so impressed with Mags dogs we knew there and then it would have to be NI'S and so begins Inka and Kain.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
IMy love of collies came from my grandparents having working dogs on their farm and I loved One Man & His Dog when I was a child. So much so, that I wrote to Jim'll Fix It asking Jim to fix it for me to have a go on the One Man & His Dog programme

I take it you weren't successful with your request?
Page 2 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »