register for free

Dog News

'Crufts poisoning' did not take place at the show..

A dog who died after taking part in Crufts had been poisoned after returning to Belgium, a toxicology report has shown.

Jagger the Irish setter, collapsed at his home on Friday 6 March, less than 48 hours after leaving Crufts.

The dog’s death was thought to have been caused by poisoned meat cubes, and it was initially believed that the poison could have been administered while the dog was left alone on the bench at Crufts while their other dogs were being judged. But according to a toxicology report, three-year-old Jagger was fed a “fast-acting poison” in Belgium, not while at the dog show.

The Kennel Club’s secretary, Caroline Kisko, said it was “inconceivable” that the dog could have been poisoned while at the dog show in Birmingham: “We have had confirmation, including from independent toxicologists, that the poisons identified in the toxicology report – carbofuran and aldicarb – are fast-acting. Severe clinical symptoms would usually occur within half an hour to three hours.

“Considering we are told that Jagger showed the first clinical signs usually associated with these two poisons shortly before his death in Belgium, late on the night of Friday 6 March, leading to the immediate call for veterinary attention, we must conclude that it is inconceivable that he could have been poisoned at Crufts on Thursday 5 March, some 28 to 36 hours earlier.

“Furthermore, the poison is thought to have been given on a piece of beef that was still largely undigested when the autopsy was performed on the morning of Saturday 7 March, and food is usually absorbed in dogs within six hours.

“The Kennel Club’s deepest sympathies go to Jagger’s owners, who have received confirmation that Jagger tragically died from the ingestion of poisoned material, and we ask that their privacy is respected as they grieve for their beloved pet.

“There has been a lot of concern about whether the poisoning happened at Crufts and we are now able to reassure all dog-lovers who came to Crufts that this could not have been possible and it is highly likely that the poisons, thought to be on a piece of beef, were eaten in Belgium, shortly before Jagger’s death.”

News of the poisoning – among the most shocking incidents in Crufts’ 123-year history – had led to reports that as many as six other dogs had also fallen ill after taking part in the British dog show. However, such news was rejected by the event organisers as “rumour and speculation”.

Jagger’s owners, Aleksandra Lauwers, Dee Milligan-Bott and Jeremy Bott had already attempted to quash suggestions that the poisoning was carried out by a rival competitor. They said the death appeared to be “a random act” rather than a fellow competitor targeting them.

Bott said: “I certainly don’t want our dog shows – the places we work so hard to get to – to become a ground of finger-pointing and suspicion.”

More here ...
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...a-satisfaction

Your comments and views:
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-03-2015, 11:18 PM
One of my friends rang me this afternoon about this, it just gets even more strange as events unfold. Horrid thing to happen wherever it occurred, and unbelievable that anyone would stoop to that level.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2015, 11:19 PM
I was so pleased to hear this news. Let us hope that the news media are as keen to report this, as they were to spread the speculation that Jagger had been poisoned at Crufts.
We are now all left wondering what possible reason there could have been for such a random attack on an innocent dog.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2015, 09:10 AM
We are now all left wondering what possible reason there could have been for such a random attack on an innocent dog.
I wonder if it was as simple as the dog picking up meat laced with poison that was put down for vermin... anyway at least we have an end to this sad case .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Though nobody had any answers for my questions about how a cube if meat could have been found days after, I knew the story would change. Something is off to me still. There were too many details presented before toxicology was back. I'm always on the edge in these cases. I'd have liked to see the reports and where they came from, but this information is often left out and people are left wondering.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2015, 02:11 PM
The fact that the meat cube was undigested seems to have provided the proof that Jagger had been poisoned within 6 hours, and therefore not at Crufts. How he came to be poisoned by two chemicals that are banned in the EU opens yet another can of worms.
It is only about three weeks ago (26th. Feb), that wraps of rat poisoned meat, bound between dog chews, were found in a country park at Erewash, Derbyshire. There are one or two sick people in all communities, and I have to admit that I am sometimes guilty of not checking what my dogs have picked up in the woods. Maybe we are all going to have to learn be a little more vigilant.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top