register for free

Dog News

'Foreign invasion' at Crufts causes disquiet amongst dog owners.

Traditionally, it has been an overwhelmingly British affair, as synonymous with British culture as cricket teas or the Archers.
But Crufts is said to have become “overrun” with foreign dogs, with the number of overseas entrants tripling in six years.
The soaring numbers of international competitors has prompted concern amongst Kennel Club members, many of whom believe the quintessentially British institution should remain just that.
Several have claimed that their foreign rivals have an unfair advantage and that their owners have different rules on grooming and behave differently at events.
Interest from abroad has grown ever since quarantine laws were changed in 2001.At this year’s competition, there will be almost 3,000 entrants from overseas, three times as many as there were in 2009.....
More here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle...og-owners.html

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Gosh people are so pompous sometimes. What's to say foreign dogs can't be just as good or better than local dogs? Tradition can really make me sick. Isn't the quality of the dog most important, not the tradition of the event? But then, I suppose these people also likely think that the quality of all the dogs is best there, too. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2015, 09:04 AM
A TOTAL of 2,995 dogs from 45 countries and islands are entered at Crufts this year compared with 2,663 in 2014.

The 2015 figure accounts for nearly 14 per cent of the total number of dogs going to the show, and is a 13 per cent increase on last year.

The numbers break down as follows:

Australia 3, Austria, 33, Belarus 2, Belgium 192, Brazil 1, Bulgaria 1, Canada 5, Croatia 13, Czech Republic 73, Denmark 109, Estonia 26, Finland 59, France 377, Germany 303, Greece 10, Guernsey 4, Hungary 26, Ireland 264, Israel 7, Italy 325, Japan 6, Jersey 4, Korea 2, Latvia 12, Lithuania 7, Luxembourg 1, Malaysia 2, Malta 7, Netherlands 299, Norway 71, Poland 129, Portugal 14, Romania 13, Russia 159, San Marino 3, Serbia 5, Slovakia 24, Slovenia 9, South Africa 1, Spain 84, Sweden 226, Switzerland 32, Thailand 1, Ukraine 17 and the US 34.
A break down of the foreign dogs entered this year.

To be honest I would take the article with a pinch of salt, you may have a small minority that might feel that way, but most people just get on with it, at the end of the day, the best dog from where ever is going to win, its down to what the judge likes on the day.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Also......... it has its pluses, its a good way to see what is out there, in the flesh so to speak, if you are considering using a dog from abroad, if its here at crufts, its much better way to decide if you like that dog/lines and so on.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-02-2015, 02:45 PM
I like that Crufts is seen as the top international dog show
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2015, 05:53 PM
It isn't surprising that the foreign dogs seem to do disproporionately well when they show at Crufts.

They can only qualify at a few shows, and your not going to spend the sort of money it will cost you to come to Crufts if you haven't got one of your breeds top dogs, often handled by proffesional handlers.

Most of us who show at Crufts in the UK are not expecting or likely to win top honours, though some of us of course will win BOB etc, most will be happy with a place card, or class win.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2015, 10:45 PM
I cannot understand why anyone should object to foreign competition, they may have different styles of both grooming and behaviour, but on the day they are judged by people who are at the very top of the tree as regards the showing of dogs. They are not judged against a different breed standard to "home grown" dogs and so it would seem to me both just and fair that they are allowed to enter.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2015, 01:41 PM
as far as I can see no one has objected DailyMail gossip again

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top