register for free

Dog News

Tail docking benefits working dogs, says study

...has received 51 comments (page 5)
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I've only known one Rottweiler with a docked tail have issues with balance but that was because he has a problem with his spine, totally unrelated with his docked tail. Other than him, no other dog that I know has balance issues from having a cropped tail. To say that all docked dogs have balance issues is pretty outrageous, there would be so many dogs falling over if that were the case.

While I personally wouldn't upright request a future pup being docked, if they were already done I wouldn't have an issue with it.

I did co-op at a vet clinic while in high school. A person brought in a litter of very young pups to have their declaws and tails docked. They cried for a couple of seconds then went back to sleep in the box they were brought in with. Not sure how other litters coped as I have only seen it done once.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2014, 09:40 PM
All I know is that I have owned a docked miniature schnauzer and my current boy who has a full tail and I love to see his tail spring right up wagging away, I do think also that people when they meet him can instantly see how happy he is to see them it's just that much more obvious than a wagging stump. If it prevents injury to dock then fine if done for appearance I don't really see the point.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2014, 07:13 AM
In my experience docked dogs don't just wag their stump when happy they waggle their entire back end. There is no mistaking a happy Dobermann or Boxer docked or not.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Indeed Trouble. My thoughts too. However, I have to say when I see a Minpin with their tail still intact I DO wish Bella had hers. But she hasn't and it was removed before I got her. And she leaves you in no doubt about her 'mood' with the little 'comma' tail she has left! And she still lifts and tucks it too!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Jimmi had his tail docked before we got him, and I too really wish that he had a full specimen because I love to see JRTs (or any dog) with an intact tail. However, he uses his stump to full advantage - windmilling, slow wagging, held up high or tucked right down. The only thing he probably misses out on is being able to tuck his nose underneath it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2014, 08:22 PM
As most photos and vids I've posted feature Bella's @rse and not her face - I think most who've seen them will agree she isn't really lacking in the 'expressive tail end' department!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2014, 08:35 PM
An involvement with working gundogs, terriers and lurchers since pretty much I could walk or talk--yes, naturally I'm speaking utter gargage of an opinion based on pure nonsense and fabrication. Clearly.
I was also raised with dobes, all docked. None had issues communicating or being wobbly. Again, garbage though apparently.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 08:57 AM
personally i would never have a full tailed springer, i have 5 all docked including one legally done after the ban, none of them have any trouble with balance or communicating with other dogs, i have seen too many springers that have had to have their tails amputated including one who had never worked a day in her live, who had to have 5, yes 5 operations to get her tail to a length where it wasn't constantly getting damaged or split, rather the small amount of pain caused at 3 days old, rather than the years of pain this dog suffered damaging it before they took it off, and the months she spent on restricted exercise whilst recovering from major operations
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2014, 02:14 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/walter-...months-3418988

This is one reason we must never let docking become acceptable again I truly thought we may have seen the last of cases like this but obviously not so. If people knew having a docked tail would be illegal this poor pup may have not been treated so badly.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2014, 02:49 PM
I don't think that story is really an indecation of legal tail docking nor done through ignorance...sadly you will always get people like that, whether docking is legal or not and whether folk are educated about it or not.

That kind of thing happened when All tail docking was legal, and won't be be last case to be seen.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top