register for free

Dog News

"Revolutionary" new neutering method - or cause for concern?

Ark Sciences have developed a neutering method for male dogs that does not involve a surgical procedure and is simply carried out under sedation with an injection directly into each testicle. It is a technique called Zinc Neutering - composed of Zinc Gluconate and L-Arginine.

You can view a video of their demo here:

They are planning to get FDA approval for dogs over just 3 months old - do you find that a cause for concern? Or welcome this new method?

Your comments and views:
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I have mixed feelings about it - on the one hand it's great to avoid surgery and anesthesia, but on the other (and aside from possible long term effects and the impact of risk on cancer etc) we have to ask ourselves whether it will be abused - where dogs that have not matured will be blindly and routinely neutered while they are still pups - something that is particularly bad for larger breeds.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 08:28 PM
This was something that was discussed at the Neutering is not so Neutral Seminar with Nick Thompson.

The main use for this particular method is for countries where there are no or very few vets, surgeries, sterile conditions and nurses.

It means that a huge number of feral/stray dogs can be neutered safely, quickly without the issues of after care that normal surgical procedures involve.

Therefore I support its use in THIS context 100%, I do not support its use for early neutering as I do not support early neutering in any form except under exceptional circumstances.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Is there an up-side to this for people who show dogs? You can have an entire male that is neutered?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Here (and in the US) everyone neuters young anyway, we're pushed to get dogs done at 6 months or less, regardless.

I'm wondering though, does it stop testosterone/hormone production like castration does? or does it just sterilize the sperm?

I have yet to find an answer to that. I saw this on another forum a few days ago, so I've been trying to find out.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 08:10 AM
See here

http://arksciences.com/faq.html
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm interested in what nick said too - could you have an entire neutered male? That would be interesting for people who show but want to castrate.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 08:23 AM
If you read the link it states what happens to the testicles over time.

I expect that the KC will need to address this issue to determine whether or not this is considered a "surgical procedure" and thus if they need notifying of it (I assume so for he KC Stud Book to have "neut" as the suffix of dog's name) and judges will need to learn what such a scrotum looks and feels like.

Hmmmmmm
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 06:07 PM
You can already have an entire "neutered" male with the superlorin implant
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Superlorin is not permanent the injection is

Also, Superlorin shrinks the testicles

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top