register for free

Dog News

Pair condemned for producing “presweiler” pups

Two dog owners in Scotland have been heavily criticised for breeding “presweiler” pups. James Bell, 29, of Irvine, Ayshire and Mark McCallie, 24, of Dumfries, have been labelled backyard breeders after crossing a Presa Canario with a rottweiler to produce the pups.

After spending months finding a Presa Canario breeder who would allow them to use a dog, Bell and McCallie used McCallie's rottweiler bitch. They kept two of the pups from the resulting litter for breeding and are offering them to owners for mating with other large dogs. The remaining puppies were sold to families. Although McCallie, a livestock yardsman, and Bell, a mechanic, are aware they could be criticised as backyard breeders, they have defended their actions.

“Our presweilers are fantastic dogs and they are good with children,” McCallie told a newspaper,
describing their temperament as “great” and their look “stunning”. He went on to defend the breeding, saying that genetic problems caused by breeding closely related dogs in the two pure breeds were eradicated by crossing the rottweiler with the Presa Canario, also resulting in dogs with improved temperament. He said the pair hope to see their 'presweiler' recognised as a proper breed and would ensure the dogs would not be used as status symbols or fighting dogs by the “shell-suited fraternity”. It is unclear what they charge for a 'presweiler' puppy.

An online advert offers Bell's 14-month 'presweiler' for breeding with “any large breed bitch”, stating he has a “wonderful temperament” and is “great with children, cats and other dogs”. He is also referred to as “a great guard dog” and described as “still growing … 58 kg … very athletic and muscular”.

Paula Boyden, veterinary director at Dogs Trust criticised the breeding. “It is totally irresponsible and potentially dangerous for these people to experiment like this. You cannot predict what you are going to get out of it. I question the motivation for trying to create this dog. It could be a superdog for all the wrong reasons.”

Referring to claims of improved health and temperament Paula Boyden called them “nonsense”. “The presa is susceptible to the same health problems as the rottweiler and both are aggressive, strong, powerful dogs renowned for guarding instincts. If you cross them, you may exacerbate these problems.”

Your comments and views:
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't think labelling Rotties and Presas as aggressive dogs is helpful tbh.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
There are 100s of these types of crosses produced every day ,why have these 2 people been picked out i wonder??
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 05:29 PM
...so no health tests?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 05:31 PM
didn't you read that? They don't need health tests!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I dont think labelling certain breeds as dangerous or "aggressive" is helpfull. I seen the article today and I also think inviting someone to comment on "the new breed" who's daughter was killed by one of those breeds, is going to provide a biased opinion.

However, the fact that they advertise a stud dog to any large breed, "good guard dog" would put me off....
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Completely agree with most of you:
A) It's dumb breeding ANY dogs without health tests or due care
B) It's even dumber labelling breeds as aggressive the way Paula (supposedly an expert ) has.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Murf, I wondered that too. Apparenty, in one generation, they have produced a new breed that is healthier than rott's too lol
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 05:42 PM
its just irresponsible breeding whether it be two large dogs or two wee ones, fact is anyone breeding just because is irresponsible as there are too many dogs in need of homes as it is. The dogs trust will just know to expect some of these puppies in their shelters in a few months/years time when they become too much for the "family homes" they have been sold to.

Its just idiots breeding for money. They can dress it up how they like
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2012, 05:45 PM
irresponsible
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top