View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 09:14 PM
i had the same problem as i worked full time, no wonder they are full to bursting.
ATD x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
i had the same problem as i worked full time, no wonder they are full to bursting.
ATD x
Grrr I know, stupid aren't they!

There are thousands of dogs in rescue who are proven to have coped quite well being on their own monday to friday 9-5 in previous homes, surely?!!!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Grrr I know, stupid aren't they!

There are thousands of dogs in rescue who are proven to have coped quite well being on their own monday to friday 9-5 in previous homes, surely?!!!
In the kennels they are on their own at least 20-22 hours a day. i wish they could judge each case on its own merits. Have you tried on here? there was a springer x lab for rehoming.
good luck
ATD x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
i think she is with the springer rescue group and i have looked at their site, i think my requirements are too specific and maybe i should loosen up, my male border we feel will only accept a bitch (he is nuetered) and also my female lurcher x is very subservient to other dogs so she is less of a problem, due to the fact we are a very active family i do not think it would be fair to rehome an older dog who may wish to slow down in life so that means a younger dog and not many of them are in rescue.
I am still in the process of working out these rescue orgs, we rehomed our old boy 14 years ago and things seemed a little less rigid back then, sadly our old boy has gone and we wanted to honour him by giving a rescue a fresh start but i think it is looking like a puppy sometime late this year or early next.
It's quite well known that Springers, especially the workers, don't really slow down at all til they're in double figures!

My last working type Springer walked 5 miles a day til she was 13, only really slowing down for the last 2 years of her life. Although I can only go from personal experience, I tend to find that Springers are a very long lived breed.

Please, if you are considering a rescue consider one from a Springer rescue. If you're an active family you'll have no problems finding the right dog, plus there are so many in rescue finding a young dog shouldn't be too much problem either sadly.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It's quite well known that Springers, especially the workers, don't really slow down at all til they're in double figures!

My last working type Springer walked 5 miles a day til she was 13, only really slowing down for the last 2 years of her life. Although I can only go from personal experience, I tend to find that Springers are a very long lived breed.

Please, if you are considering a rescue consider one from a Springer rescue. If you're an active family you'll have no problems finding the right dog, plus there are so many in rescue finding a young dog shouldn't be too much problem either sadly.
I will certainly keep the springer and cocker rescue groups in mind.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
It amazes me how rescues turn down soo many good homes just because people work.

It really irritates me
I'm not surprised by this to be honest. Some of these dogs may have come from less than perfect homes, been neglected or not looked after properly in various ways.

They may have been removed from their home and put in rescue kennels (and as kind as the people in rescue centres are, they are not the ideal environment) and then picked up by new owners - all of which is stressful for the dog.

Surely it would be better if the new owner was at home with the dog to help it settle, gain the dogs trust and form a bond, help it settle in and learn the rules of the house.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I'm not surprised by this to be honest. Some of these dogs may have come from less than perfect homes, been neglected or not looked after properly in various ways.

They may have been removed from their home and put in rescue kennels (and as kind as the people in rescue centres are, they are not the ideal environment) and then picked up by new owners - all of which is stressful for the dog.

Surely it would be better if the new owner was at home with the dog to help it settle, gain the dogs trust and form a bond, help it settle in and learn the rules of the house.
but most of the population work at least part time. they adapt well. so why should working 4 hours a day matter. i mean even if the potential owner didnt work they will be out of the house some of the day any way. and surly a home environment is better and less stressful than kennels?
ATD x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
but most of the population work at least part time. they adapt well. so why should working 4 hours a day matter. i mean even if the potential owner didnt work they will be out of the house some of the day any way. and surly a home environment is better and less stressful than kennels?
ATD x
When I helped out at the Dogs Trust some days the dogs were in kennels alone (albeit with canine company) for about 20 hours a day.....................
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 12:23 AM
They had a welshie in a while back and I offered to pick it up and take it to breed rescue and was told no. I then asked if they knew who the breeder was and if they'd refused to take the dog back and was told it was none of my business, to which I replied rescues like these gave good breeders a bad name !!!!
I could have rehomed the dog in a breath to a lovely home off my puppy list but got the impression they didnt want to know.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
Hello, do you represent the springer rescue organisation, the one with the mainly blue and white website.

i represent NESSR, we would have no problems with you working part time, or having specific requirements as long as your willing to wait for the right dog to come along, are your dogs bitches?? if so what about bryn

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...18#post1952718
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >