Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Well he calls it a pitbull so does everyone else. I don't have clue! PBs banned here same as UK. But then smoking is banned here too and riding without a helmet and all sorts and no one takes any notice of those laws!

It's a huge dog. I always wonder about old people like him with a dog no one else like - if he dies the dog will be pts. If the dog dies old man loses his only pal. Too old and disabled to take on another.

Since Mollie was a puppy we have been visiting oldies around the area so they get to pet her and remember their own late doggies. I think that helps some of them a bit. That might be something your gorgeous princess could do I know Mollie enjoys it and the treats she is offered while in their homes.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Lovely photos.
He looks a lovely old dog and the old man probably appreciates a bit of conversation.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Lovely photos Tang! I'd love to take some photos of us on our walks but think that I'll have to wait until the spring when hopefully Georgie will be sensible enough to allow her off lead ... at the moment her recall isn't reliable and as for Chloe ... well the less said about that the better!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Ah that old dog has a lovely smile doesn't he, such a shame for him because that swelling doesn't look good from what I can see, does it look like some sort of tumour Pat.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Since Mollie was a puppy we have been visiting oldies around the area so they get to pet her and remember their own late doggies. I think that helps some of them a bit. That might be something your gorgeous princess could do I know Mollie enjoys it and the treats she is offered while in their homes.
Bells has done a little bit of that. DiL visits oldies in the care home and they let her take Bella in last year. She said some old dears that can't remember their family started talking about dogs they'd had!

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Lovely photos.
He looks a lovely old dog and the old man probably appreciates a bit of conversation.
He got a kind old face hasn't he. Convo is painful - he has no English at all. My Greek is a joke and anyway Cypriots speak a dialect of it which sounds very different. He must have been a refugee from the north. Most from the south speak English. He looks happiest when I'm fussing his old dog - he beams! He was trying to tell me not fair what they say about pitbulls. I just nodded and gave the old dog a kiss!

Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Lovely photos Tang! I'd love to take some photos of us on our walks but think that I'll have to wait until the spring when hopefully Georgie will be sensible enough to allow her off lead ... at the moment her recall isn't reliable and as for Chloe ... well the less said about that the better!
I've not had many good ones of Bella. She doesn't pose. I've got hundreds of photos of her bum! (Just as well it's a cute one!)I must get some people to take some of me and her together.

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Ah that old dog has a lovely smile doesn't he, such a shame for him because that swelling doesn't look good from what I can see, does it look like some sort of tumour Pat.
Tawney it looks like one of those monkey bums. But leathery outside so I guess an old problem. Maybe some sort of prolapse?
The elbows are par for a lot of dogs kept outside a lot in Cyprus.

He obviously love his dog and must cost him a bit to feed it too.

I admire that he has the long rope for it (not that it runs off) and that he takes it out twice a day as it's a bit of a struggle for him.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2013, 08:17 PM
I loved seeing those photos of the old man and his soul mate ..... whoever goes first will be so sad for the remaining one . It stinks getting old
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

10-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Aw those are lovely photos of both dogs. Your wee one is a right wee cutie!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
Aw those are lovely photos of both dogs. Your wee one is a right wee cutie!
Thank you Brandykins. Now she's into her fourth year here - Bella is quite 'famous' in Larnaka!

When my new neighbours looked after her for 3 weeks they were bowled over by how many people 'knew her' when they took her out!

I'm dead proud of her to tell the truth (even if she is a total tyrant at home!) as one of my Greek pals says 'God made Bella VERY small, so he had to make her VERY brave!'
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2013, 10:35 AM
I get a little lump in my throat every time I look at this sweet little old mans beaming face. He is obviously so delighted that some one has taken an interest in him and his precious boy. Bless you for giving him time on your walk, it seems to mean so much to him.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks Mazz. Today I went a little later after he'd gone. I've decided not to go down there EVERY day at the same time just in case the old boy gets all disappointed if I don't appear one day! And I'll end up feeling bad if I don't get over there. Better to make a point of seeking them out a few times in the week.

Some of the old Cypriots here haven't had easy lives at all and you can sort of see it in their faces. But this old man (I think) has a really soft kind expression. Very kind and gentle with his dog too.

Did anyone spot how much clothing he has on (including a padded bodywarmer!) that's Cypriots for you - they dress for the time of year even if it is still really hot and sunny in November! As you can see from the pic of Bella on my lap I'm still in cotton crops, flip flops and a cami top! It's easy to tell the 'foreigners' from the locals once August is gone lol! Anything below 25deg and they are muttering it is 'freezing' and you see smoke coming from their chimneys. Anything below about 22deg and out come the fur coats long boots, leather gloves and thick scarves!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2