Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Could you eat your dog?

Hiker forced to eat beloved pet dog that saved his life: Alsatian chased away bear that ransacked camp leaving man stranded without food in Canadian wilderness

Marco Lavoie, 44, killed his pet German Shepherd with a rock three days after it saved him from a bear which attacked their camp and ruined their supplies in July.

Full Story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-3-months.html
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Maybe after couple weeks, especially if my dog died from starvation itself. 3 days doesn't seem long though
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Can't open link
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2013, 01:11 PM
But three days later, in a real-life display of survival-of-the-fittest, the 44-year-old killed his heroic Alsatian with a rock and ate it in a desperate bid to survive.
No I couldn't kill my dog or eat it if it died , it makes me feel ill thinking about it .

This person didn't hold out very long did he.

I think in extreme conditions I would curl up with my dog and go to sleep, hypothermia would take hold very quickly. I don't fear death, there are worse things ...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
No I couldn't kill my dog or eat it if it died , it makes me feel ill thinking about it .

This person didn't hold out very long did he.
No comment on how long he 'waited' but I do know there is NO WAY I could ever eat my dog. Even if she was already dead. Just couldn't do it. I think probably true to say most of us ardent dog lovers on here would be starving ourselves in order to be able to continue to FEED our dogs.

But you asked the question of us personally. These are conditions I will never be in and dogs I will never own. I've seen TV documentaries about huskies and how some of them are 'sacrificed' to feed the rest of the pack to keep going.

Walk a mile in their shoes and all that ... but no, me personally, couldn't do it. Would rather die than contemplate it!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
No I couldn't kill and eat my dog, frankly I'd rather die. I also can't see how killing the dog after 3 days helped him survive for a further 3 months. To be honest I wouldn't put myself and my dogs in that situation in the first place.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:16 PM
My automatic answer would be No I would not!! In saying that who knows?if I was put in that position,it's quite possible 3 days doesn't seem long but I'd imagine being starving must have played havoc with this guy's mental state at the time.Maybe I just can't bear to think he had full function of all his brain cells when he did that
Not sure if would even be worth it with Lacey Wouldn't be too much on her
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:18 PM
3 days??? I've gone three days without proper food before and certainly didn't look at mine like they were walking steaks
If bears can survive then surely there'd be enough food to tide a human over.... I know its easy to say sat here in my jammies, but I'm actually appalled.
Not just eating the dog, but actually killing it with his own hands (and a rock). Poor, trusting dog. "Hey, remember when that bear nearly got us? Thanks for that but I'm a bit peckish now"

Going to watch Ray Mears so I can survive without eating my pals
Not much meat on mine anyways
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Don't think Betty would keep me alive for long she is so tiny, Mollie has been my constant friend for 12 years so I couldn't do it to her any more than I could kill my husband and eat him !
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
I know its about people and not dogs..but remember the case of the plane crash,were the surviving passengers survived by eating the remains of the dead passengers Its horrific to think about it,eating a human or dog to survive Unimagineable,think the majority of people would agree with that but I'd say none of us( hopefully) have been put in a life or death situation were we have had to make such a horrendous decision.If it came down to it...things might be different ( only saying MIGHT )
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >