View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2013, 04:51 PM
I would leave Izzy only 4 hours at the very top. She isn't usually left... If I was gone for any longer she may destroy the house because of boredom. We try and make sure she is not left alone by asking friends to look after her.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-11-2013, 05:28 PM
We used to be able leave tj and flag as long as we needed to, but since we moved house we don't leave them alone at all, as flag howls if left, this has only started since we moved.
cate cain
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2013, 11:08 PM
hi I work shifts 12 hrs nights and days. todd is left on his own. nights ok because we've been out all day. he seems ok on the day shifts, I think he just sleeps. only work 3 day shifts then have plenty of time to make it up to him. Always leave him plenty of things to play with or destroy and paper if he needs the loo. Always worked shifts since I first got him so I really don't think he knows any different.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Average 2 -3 hours, occasionally 6 hours.
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2013, 03:46 PM
My two are left for about 3 hours each day because I need to work, but they are lucky in that we have a dog flap so they can pop in and out when they need to, or if the weather is nice they'll lie around in the garden. They don't seem to mind lack of company, but I do leave the radio or tv on so that there's some background noise for them.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Apropos of absolutely nothing - reading this thread made it occur to me that - isn't it odd how so many dogs are OK for up to 8, 10 hrs or so left on their 'own' downstairs in say the kitchen or wherever when the family goes to bed (obviously talking here about dogs who don't sleep upstairs on the beds!)

There is no interaction or anything - family or owner not even on the same floor of the house mostly. But they don't get stressed about that.

Just seems to be when they KNOW you aren't there. So obviously it is this 'separation' thing.

My dog often is in another room for hours on end (her choice independent little bint!) and sometimes decides not to bother to come to bed with me and stays where she is. (Or goes off to bed hours before I do and doesn't bother if I join her or not)

But I still worry if I have to leave her for more than about 4 hours or 5 max.

Just saying - that's all!
chrriss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I leave mine approx 4 hrs they are both old dogs and sleep most of the time. They have the run of the house and are both well behaved. My son has a pup Jack Russell which he has a small cage for (it has a water bowl and food inside) and although Eddie sleeps most of the time I usually bob down and let him out if he's going to be left more than a couple of hours.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Jimmi is never ever left home alone We rather like the house the way it is thank you very much Apart from being destructive, he is so distressed that it is out of the question to go out and leave him.

He is quite happy to snooze inside if we are outside however, and is certainly not a velcro dog.

Our previous dogs were left for maybe three or four hours on occasion.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Have to say my 'independent' little dog hasn't buzzed off to be on her own tonight. It's firework night here and she is right by mumsie's feet!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2