Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Oh well I'm one of those horrible people who subject their dogs to the show ring....

Poor Figo.......

Terrible LOL and I will happily bet your dogs would not show well if they were not enjoying it so no point doing it they don't like it. Good luck with it, hope we see you at crufts one day !
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Oh well I'm one of those horrible people who subject their dogs to the show ring....

Poor Figo.......
Yes indeed you are and it's a downright disgrace and that's why you should bundle them up and SEND THEM TO MEEEE!

*I'll still show them - I will show them to everyone I meet lol! (Don't think we have dog shows here in Cyprus)
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 07:10 PM
I show mt dogs both Lakeland terriers and Staffordshire bull terriers very different in terms of presentation.
No matter if the dog does not like it it won't show.
Health wise show people in both breeds have done lots in terms of health testing raising money for AHT in SB T show people raised money and sent in blood samples and there are now DNA tests for 2 conditions found in the breed. People who do not show have been denying the presence of these conditions for years saying it is only in show lines. No it is not and because we have the tests to positively prove it affected dogs are now being identified from those previously in denial. Five years on from the launch of these tests here is no need for ant dog to be born affected. Every breed show money is raised one way or another for rescue.
Lakelands have no known health issues and when recently suggested may have an eye condition we organised a mutation frequency test in the breed. No carriers where found.
Working Lakelands are suffering eye conditions and none knows where it is coming from because no one is admitting to the problem or what they are adding to their breeding.

Health and temperament is very important in a show dog and is always considered in my breeding consideration
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I too am (or was) a cruel person subjecting my dogs to showing.

The 4 o’clock starts – they coped better than me.

The long journey to and from shows – they coped better than me – they just sprawled out and slept.

The long day at the show – they coped better than me, sleeping or watching the world go by, whilst I’d be rushing around trying to find the ring, the likely judging start time (if not first in the ring), the queuing for toilets, shopping, trying to get all the new absolutely indispensable things just purchased back to the car which was miles away from the rings.

And the dogs coped very well with NOT being placed. Well, sometimes so did I.

But we all loved it, otherwise we would not have carried on. My dogs have always been my pets first, and showing and other doggy activity were for our fun.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Where is the freak show?

What is freakish about my show dogs?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I think the answer to your question is that this is a "Discussions & Debates" section - which means ummmm .... there will discussions and debates? If it was a "let's all agree" section then of course we'd all agree but it's not.

I have no idea if you're horrible or not, I certainly would not presume that you were nor indeed have I or anyone else on this thread. I think showing is horrible - but as I said above this is a discussions and debates section.

I often wonder why some folk come out with suc throwaway comments such as been aired here...I wonder if they realy understand what it takes to show an animal.

To lump us all together as " horrible " is a bit extreme.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:41 PM
If the dogs enjoy it then why not, i would love to see quantifiable breed standards where judges measured against fixed parameters rather that an interpretation of the standard as it currently is, i would love to see a true dual purpose springer being bred and judged in this country, the current show winning dogs lack the drive and are too heavily feathered to do a days work, but equallymore working springers are being bred to be small wiry and hyper active, we are starting to look for another dog to train up to replace our working dog Meg in a couple of years, and really love her build but are struggling to find a breeder that breeds like this, am seriously considering bringing one of these in , take away the siily clip on the ears and these are lovely dogs

http://www.springer-spaniel.de/
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I think the answer to your question is that this is a "Discussions & Debates" section - which means ummmm .... there will discussions and debates? If it was a "let's all agree" section then of course we'd all agree but it's not.

I have no idea if you're horrible or not, I certainly would not presume that you were nor indeed have I or anyone else on this thread. I think showing is horrible - but as I said above this is a discussions and debates section.

Showing dogs is horrible. I hate it. Even the local "friendly" shows the dogs are dragged around, groomed to within an inch of their lives, paraded in front of the judges - absolutely nothing to do with the dog, it's all about the owners winning or losing.

Yes it' a debate and discussion thread, but when someone post as you have, making such a blanket statement against those who show, don't be surprised when others question you.

Maybe you would have been better giving legitimate reasons why you think showing is horrible , as it is your post suggests a biased uninformed opinion based on nothing other an a throwaway comment.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 05:08 PM
If it's a throwaway comment why are you taking it so personally? I certainly never meant it personally.

I hate the practice of showing dogs - nothing against those that show, some of the people who show are probably very nice people some might not be but that's not my point.

I don't mind being questioned - doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Yes it' a debate and discussion thread, but when someone post as you have, making such a blanket statement against those who show, don't be surprised when others question you.

Maybe you would have been better giving legitimate reasons why you think showing is horrible , as it is your post suggests a biased uninformed opinion based on nothing other an a throwaway comment.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I hate the practice of showing dogs - nothing against those that show, some of the people who show are probably very nice people some might not be but that's not my point.
What do you hate?
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >