View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2011, 04:23 PM
No matter what anyone thinks about the Gsd .You ask most people (specially of a certain age )What guard dogs they can think of and they will say Gsd's ..or as my dad still calls them Alsations..lol
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:05 PM
We have a Briard, they are a flock guardian, with a very loud bark, good at warning you about anyone who dares come anywhere near the house. Otherwise a lovely family pet, daft as a brush most of the time.
Blue Shadow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I have always felt quite secure with 2 Great Danes and a GSD in the house....if anyone comes around our doorbell soon barks to let us know. The GSD is definately very protective of us and the property and most people, once they have come face to face with our 2 year old dane, would think at least twice before coming back unless one of us is around

Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:22 PM
blue shadow i think im inlove with your dog, please dont tell my husband lol
Blue Shadow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:28 PM
lol Motley, I promise not to tell!

Sorry to post pics on this thread but I also have a great pic of our new garage alarm system!

GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree Scout75. All my GSDs have shown strong guarding traits, especially property guarding. The vast majority of GSDs haven't been used for shepherding for many, many years and so the shepherding traits have been lost.
Some of my GSDs have shown guarding traits but many haven't. Nearly all of them have shown great interest in sheep & I wouldn't trust them with them as they were untrained. Had one bitch who herded a group of bullocks when she was 14 months old. Most of my other GSDs had been wary of cattle but she herded them not like you see on One Man & His Dog she didn't drive them towards me she herded them together by circling them then moved them to me still constantly circling them.
As for wariness of strangers had a bitch in the 70s who I entered under a German judge at the BAGSD. He comented on her being overweight & she jumped up on his white suit with muddy paws & kissed him. At the talk next day my father asked the judge if dogs could be too friendly. Someone explained which bitch it was & he laughed a lot but he said they could not be classed as too friendly & a good dog should know who to be friendly with & who to be suspicious of. He did not mind a dog being aloof with strangers when working but they should definitely not be afraid of strangers.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
If the GSD was not meant to having guarding traits why would a third of the breed test be made up of protection?
but wasnt that test brought about because of the way they were to be used in police work?

So being trained to do so, as Jodee said.

I was under the impression that this is why the test is there so they can 'filter' i.e. if the dog is unsuitable for the job.....so training rather than breed.....
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
No matter what anyone thinks about the Gsd .You ask most people (specially of a certain age )What guard dogs they can think of and they will say Gsd's ..or as my dad still calls them Alsations..lol
but thats the problem.

Fashion has meant that some breeds lost credability which was unwarranted and others gained it.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Another point no one i dont think has said dobermans ..
They would have been high on my list...
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
So those of us with dogs that guard the property should not leave them alone? Even my collies are territorial when im not home and wouldnt let someone enter without confrontation!
how do you know that if you are not there?
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >