View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 12:36 AM

How often do you give you dogs a big run?

I'm curious about this as I was told by a villager today that I give my girls a big run to often
We (me n O/H) take them to the fields 5 days out of 7 its like 6 fields in a big square that you can walk round with no issues.
The other 2 days we stick them in the van, go to a secluded beach open the back n let the dogs go and we could be out there anything from a hour n half to 3 hours depending on weather and the girls themselves.
The field is like a hours walk round.
They have the mad half hour n then just potter weither we are on the field or beach, if we are on the beach we take some water n make them chill out for 20 mins before we do the walk back.
Is this 2 much for them do u reckon?
and how often do you give your dogs a big run if at all?x
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-05-2009, 12:54 AM
I guess a lot depends on how much your doggies (NI & NI X) run about during the hours you walk them and how old they are.

Dogs bombing around at full tilt for a full three hours is very different to dogs bombing around for half an hour then just trotting / playing along with you whilst you walk for the next two and a half hours.

That with the field walks sounds great to me.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 01:00 AM
No they dont bomb about for 3 hours god it'd kill them
The eldest is 17 months and the youngest 15 months, I'd say they have a good 20 min to half hour bomb about like full tilt mental run and then they just walk round sniffing and rolling in whatever disgusting smelling thing they find
Shila's health is spot on but Isis has bad hips BUT recently she has put on a lot of muscle over her back end and it seems to have helped her and how much she wants to do.

For some reason it wont show the video of them on the beach x
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Mine get a big run probably on average every other day and a potter around park on inbetween days.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
No they dont bomb about for 3 hours god it'd kill them
The eldest is 17 months and the youngest 15 months, I'd say they have a good 20 min to half hour bomb about like full tilt mental run and then they just walk round sniffing and rolling in whatever disgusting smelling thing they find
Shila's health is spot on but Isis has bad hips BUT recently she has put on a lot of muscle over her back end and it seems to have helped her and how much she wants to do.

For some reason it wont show the video of them on the beach x
Keeping an eye on those hips (glad the muscles are improving) it sounds like they're having a perfect time
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Ours do daily.
However thats not bombing around constantly either, usually started with pat doing 10-15mins throwing the ball across the flat, then the rest of time they are in the lakes or the river messing about with our foster son, or just chasing one another round. Reah has to do 1 hour daily, but that at the intructions of the specalist, as she has to keep the muscles round the shoulder blade built up as thats what is holding the front leg stable.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Daily...a minimum of an hour but normally and hour and a half to two hours, but again it isn't running at full tilt all that time.We listen to what the dogs are trying to tell us.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Every day, they get a minimum of an hour and a half to two hours. They run for as much of it as they want to. We start and finish with about 15 mins of ball throwing, which is running at full speed as they are in competition with each other. We then walk through the woods and fields for a minimum of an hour at varying pace. We break into a jog from time to time, we run and jump streams and logs etc. and we amble along some of the time. We then come back onto the field for about 15 mins of ball throwing and then amble back to the car.
pupsandpets
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Every day they go to a huge open park.
Sometimes they run & play with their pals, other times they just dig up the mole hills! And if they can sneak off and get away with it, a dunk in the stream
But if they wanted to run the option is there every day, twice a day!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Ours have a half hour before breakfast and then at least another hour later on, plus some time on lead walks. Some days they run around more than others. It depends on their mood. Since Chip started fly ball I'm watching how much he does. He has no idea when to stop
I think a lot depends on what their used to. The vet told us the worst damage was done by taking them off for big days out at the weekend and only doing duty walks all week.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >