Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 08:52 PM

Toilet training

Woody has started to lapse on this of late and I'm just wondering why.

He's 14 weeks now and despite a few mistakes used to always sit by the door to go out. But this weekend he seems to have stopped that suddenly. Without any warning he just wees on the carpet.

What we usually do if he does this is yell "Ooopsy" to stop him mid flow and call him outside to finish it off. We never punish him and we do understand that he's a little one.

I'm wondering if the carpet just smells of wee too much it's confusing him (we use Rug Doctor Pet carpet cleaner spray and kitchen roll to clean up) or if he's just going through a stage? Is there anything we can do to help this?

I'm also worrying that leaving him in the kitchen when I go back to work from tomorrow will have a knock on effect of all this?

Hope you can help ;o)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 09:29 PM
IMO a pup of 14 weeks will be unable to hold urine so as life gets more interesting he will get caught short more often. Don't try to stop him once he has started but make sure you take him out when he wakes, when he has eaten and when playing or walking about at least every hour, go with him and praise as usual, ignore any mistakes even if you see him do it. Shouting mid stream may cause the dog to hide behind the chairs to do it and that you don't want.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 09:32 PM
You are a worrier...stay calm, hes a puppy puppies have lapses, he is still a baby, correcting him without too much of a fuss will sort him out...
good luck tomorrow, have you been leaving him at all leading up to this ?
when you leave keepit matter of fact,no fuss, he'll be fine,but remember you will get accidents to begin with its normal xx
Mika's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Just a quick tip, I'm no expert but I was told about this and it does work.
If you spray the area he has wee'd on with a vinegar and water solution he shouldn't wee there again.

Its tried and tested by me and does work

Sorry no advice about the toilet training as my madam is going thru another bad phase.

Natz
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 09:40 PM
I AM a worrier, but only because I want to get it right for the lil' guy.
Yes Ink, he's been left on his own before and is absolutely fine, but because it's only ever been for 4 hours max' he's been in the crate (and obviously no accidents). Tomorrow will be the first time we leave him alone in the kitchen for 4.5 hours.
OK, I'll try the vinegar thing, but wonder what that will smell like!?!?!??!?!?! ;o)
Mika's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I AM a worrier, but only because I want to get it right for the lil' guy.
Yes Ink, he's been left on his own before and is absolutely fine, but because it's only ever been for 4 hours max' he's been in the crate (and obviously no accidents). Tomorrow will be the first time we leave him alone in the kitchen for 4.5 hours.
OK, I'll try the vinegar thing, but wonder what that will smell like!?!?!??!?!?! ;o)

smells like a chip shop for a while but sure is better then dog pee smell

Natz