View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2004, 12:44 PM
I know what you mean about mad puppys - when it was our last week there was a cheer at the thought of a quieter class next week and a sigh of relief from those owners who had tiny little dogs that lept out the way as sonny came bounding towards them - did I mention the screams of terror ?

But at his class the main thing was to teach the dogs basic training with all the distractions ( for the others that was sonny) like the recall and also they got to do different things like going through a tunnel and of course my fav part was play time - did I mention the screams???

Love sam and sonny
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-04-2004, 01:43 PM
lol - sound like fun, ur making me wish I never pulled us out of ours now

But wer're off to a huuuge park as the suns out so hopefully there'll be loadsa play mates for Rocky there
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2004, 01:54 PM
I should really take Sonny a walk but feeling very rough after all my celebrating yesterday (team won the league) so for now he will have to settle with the garden. I am such a bad mum

Love sam and sonny
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Saffys 8 months old and a Boxer, she weighs 25kg and she goes for 2 1 hour walks a day with Max 4 years old and a Dally he weighs 25 kg too. Max would run forever if I let him whereas Saffy stops when shes had enough and wont budge until we head for home.
JonUK
Dogsey Junior

28-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Floyd.
Breed:Hybrid American Bulldog.
Sex:Male
Height:24inches. Weight:44kg/100lbs.

Exercise:1hr aprox 4miles twice daily.
15mins of hangtime(rope swing) twice daily.
Drag weighting 1-2miles every 3rd day at present pulling 20kg

I have only recently started Floyd on weight pull but this will be stepped up slowley untill he pulls his own bodyweight 2miles every other day.

I have only owned Floyd 3mths(previously a Staffy bull man) and have slowly built him up to this amount and intend to put weight pull titles on him later this year with the view to Irondog titles next year.

With regards to exerxiseing young large breed dogs IMO its the same as feeding NEVER OVER DO IT.
At around 6mths and upwards I would say if possible lots of small walks say four 10-15minute walks on lead and if pos a 5-10 minute run.
Remember though alot of large breeds aren't fully grown untill 2yrs some even older.
Carole
Supervisor

28-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Jon,

What would you recommend for a 17 month boxer You seem to be quite clued up with larger breeds. Thanks
JonUK
Dogsey Junior

28-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi Carole,
It depends on how fit you want your dog to be.If your dog is a family pet then a couple of 30-45 minute walks a day with a bit of play or running is fine. 17 months is about the age you can give more exercise if you want. IMO rather than think how much can the dog have its more about lifestyle and what you and your dogs are happy with. I looked at your pic of your dog asleep on the sofa and he/she looks in a nice condition.
Carole
Supervisor

28-04-2004, 10:47 AM
She gets a lot of walks. Usually 1 long walk about an hour with some off lead running around and about 3 other short walks. I really worry about her hips and overexercising her.

Star can take it or leave it when it comes to walks. If she does not get a long walk for one reason or another she is happy to lounge about.

Glad to hear Im not overdoing things.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

28-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info Jon!

Good luck for the titles and hope you keep us posted - with lots of pics!!

Rocky is mostly getting his excerise in the garden and I take him to the park for sociliastion about three times a week (or everyday if it's sunny!). I was taking him for a walk outside everynight but I think it's a bit too hilly so instead went down the garden route - think this is ok?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2