Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cavalier Love
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2008, 11:57 PM

Symptom-nonstop itching, licking lips

Any thoughts? I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We didn't get much sleep last night due to his constant itching? Could it just be the dry weather? A food allergy? If you look up CKCS and these symptoms, SM seems to come up a lot, but before getting an MRI, I would like to rule anything else out.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Hi Lisa, Welcome to Dogsey
Sorry to read about your concerns with your little cavalier.
There could be a number of reasons why they scratch, but try not to worry until you have visited the vet. They will check him over and give you a definate diagnosis.

Have you bathed him recently ? has he been swimming in a river ? change of food ? I could suggest several others, but think the vet would be the best bet.

He could have an alergy ? difficult to say is he scratching all over, or in a specified area ?

Tracy x
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi Lisa welcome to dogsey sorry to hear about your cavalier is scratching i know it is a worry and as you say SM does come up a lot but i would try not to think along them lines like trixybird said it could be a lot of reasons why hes scratching im not to sure but i really dont think they do the licking of the lips with SM anyway your vet will know more so try not to worry x
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious. Have you ruled out fleas ?

Is it just licking or is it licking and front teeth nibbling ?

Is it casual licking or a sudden "ooh I've got an itch" kind of 'frantic' lick ?
Cavalier Love
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:04 AM
I am starting him on a detox program starting today. We have ruled out fleas. Thank you so much for your concern and answers!!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Is it casual licking or a sudden "ooh I've got an itch" kind of 'frantic' lick ?
As I was reading this, Kaiy did that as his fur is coming out in clumps and he hates it, and it just made me laugh

I agree with the others, a vet will be able to check him over, and until then, watch what he eats and take note of it and his toilets, in case the vet asks
Cavalier Love
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:14 AM
I guess it's an "ooh I've got an itch" licking of the lips. The vet suggested the detox to see if it's a food allergy.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Good luck with the detox and your little fella, hoping all turns out well for him x
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-05-2008, 09:02 AM
My little dachie has a skin problem and after many visits to the vet and tests for allergies it was getting no better.

I read in the Janre Lilley Column in dog world that raw spinnach liquidised in a little olive oil was good for this. I tried it and put a couple of spoonfulls over his dinner and though it did not work instantaneously it did work over a period of a few weeks and he has never had the problem since.

If the detox does not work it may be worthwhile giving the spinnach a try.

Hope the little one feels better soon.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Try rubbing him all over with a dokken leave, I used to have to do that with my shar pei after a walk in the woods, she would itch and swell just at the thought of going out lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >