Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 07:22 PM

Unexpected skin issues for Willow...Im really worried

...I took Willow to the vets tonight, because she has had smelly breath and has been shuffling on her bum recently, thought she might have blocked anal glands. The vet checked her over, said her anal glands werent really blocked, but she looks like she may have a slight bit of infection...he then went on to ask me if she was insured... she is, but when a vet asks you this it cant mean good news! He checked her ears, said thy were slightly inflamed, so she now has ear drops. She has also been rubbing her head on anything she can in the morning...and he wasnt happy with how pink her skin appears, he think she may have a skin allergy...

So what I thought would be a quick easily sorte visit...cost me a small fortune, and has made me very worried. I have no idea how pet insurance works, and I can see myself paying out lots of money that I could have saved by using the insurance. I will pay anything to ensure Willow is pain free and has a happy life, that is no issue...its just worrying as Flower and Willow are my first dogs I have owned on my own...

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 07:26 PM
How old is Willow?
They can develop skin probelms at around a year?
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 07:28 PM
she is only 5 months, the vet did say that she may grow out of it, but its still worrying, knowing she may have blood tests and a lifetime of treatment ahead, Maybe he was just letting me know I may have to expect the worst, but he gave her a steroid injection and antibiotic injection to reduce th inflamation and rednes in her skin
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear about willow, jess my newfie had skin problems all last year, does yours itch her skin, or lick as all the dogs i know with allergy problems are constantly itching.

Jess did have bad ears, and weepy eyes which can also relate to allergy problems i was told.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 07:31 PM
She' a Westie. Westie to a vet = £'s so be very cautious and if in any doubt get a second opinion!
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I think she always had skin issues didn't she? I remember posting up in the hope of helping you out coz of my Georgie who suffers terribly with skin problems/allergies, just about everything related to it!

Are you currently insured?? If not, then now that you've had a vet's visit and they've diagnosed this, you won't be able to get any cover for skin problems for the future? If you are, however, then no worries, you will only be paying the excess, and all of today's and future invoices will be covered, so I'm hoping you are insured!

If you want any help or guidance from someone who knows, I will be glad to help in any way I can. I know just about everything there is to know about dogs with pyoderma, wet ecezma allergy problems affecting the skin, coz I've been here for 3 years now with a dog who's suffering!

The steroid jab will stop it in its tracks and you'll be amazed by tomorrow morning how nice and white her skin will have gone. Skin and ear problems go hand in hand too, so that's no surprise, unfortunately! Anyways, she'll be ok now that he's had the steroids, but for how long who knows! They say 4 days, but I've had Georgie having relief for a whole month after a steroid jab, so fingers crossed for you.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Finn went through this last year I have found that adding evening primrose oil and starflower oil to his diet seems to have helped. There is hardly any itchiness this year when I compare it to last year.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 07:40 PM
If she's a Westie, then I'm afraid it's bad news. We have one in our village, who's owner has spent hundreds of pounds on her skin problems, even the £10 a day treatment which didn't even work, but I forget what they're called now? Some pills or other, but they didn't work for my Georgie either. If you go on a Westie site, or punch in skin allergies in Westies you will be pointed in the right direction I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this so many times in Westies, I think they're renowned for it? I am soooooo hoping I'm wrong though, because yes, it will be a lifetime, just like I've got here with Georgie.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
If she's a Westie, then I'm afraid it's bad news. We have one in our village, who's owner has spent hundreds of pounds on her skin problems, even the £10 a day treatment which didn't even work, but I forget what they're called now? Some pills or other, but they didn't work for my Georgie either. If you go on a Westie site, or punch in skin allergies in Westies you will be pointed in the right direction I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this so many times in Westies, I think they're renowned for it? I am soooooo hoping I'm wrong though, because yes, it will be a lifetime, just like I've got here with Georgie.
Yes she is a westie, it was Flower who had the itchiness before, she was allergic to frontline I think, as I stopped using this and have never had any problems with her since...touchwood! Yeah, They ar both insured ith argos, so Im hoping I can get any further bills covered? Im just not sure how I do this?

xx
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »