View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 02:11 PM

Dog Size Prediction? Any way to estimate size of a mixed breed?

Bodhi is a mix of a few breeds. I was curious about how tall/large she will grow to.

I assume, that dogs generally have set growth patterns, and I wonder if anyone can guesstimate, roughly, what size Bodhi will grow too?

She has in her - boxer/staff/lab/collie/springer, and she is 4.5 months now.

She was 16" to the shoulder last time I checked (which was recently!)..

So - can anyone suss a size from that? I'm not fazed how big she gets, but it would be interesting to know!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Well the Boxer, Lab. and Collie........will all reach about the same height ( around 23in to 25 in) so dont think she should get any bigger than that, maybe somewhere between 19in and 25in ?
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
So, assuming she grows till she is 2 (is that right?), she will grow another 3 - 9 inches?

3 doesn't seem many, but 9 seems loads

We reckoned she will get lab/boxer height... but I'm not so sure.

What breeds of dog do you reckon are 16" (roughly) at 4.5 months?

Questions, questions
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox
Well the Boxer, Lab. and Collie........will all reach about the same height ( around 23in to 25 in) so dont think she should get any bigger than that, maybe somewhere between 19in and 25in ?

yeah i reckon thats about right you took the words right out of my mouth
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Can usually tell by the size of the paws, or is that an old wives tale?
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond
Can usually tell by the size of the paws, or is that an old wives tale?
No thats true if they have big paws it indicates that the dog will be big, whereas small paws indicate a smaller dog.

My dogs are Northern Inuits, My female Misty is exactly the same age as your Bodhi, she currently stands at 18" to the sholder. Misty is quite small for her age (for the breed) and we have estimated that she will probably reach about 24" at the sholder (roughly), if that helps give you any sort of idea. Thats roughly German shepherd size as female german shepherd dogs stand at between 22 & 24" at the sholder males standing at between 24 & 26" at the sholder.

Hope thats of some use.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I always look at the knee to see how tall a pup may be, but with a cross breed there is not way to know really but hight seems to be one of the things that is dominant so it is likely the pup will be as tall or taller than the tallest of it's parents add to that that neutering young also increases the hight and you may get some idea.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2006, 10:01 AM

Thanks....

I will keep measuring her at regular intervals, just because it's fun..!
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2006, 06:10 PM
I judge by the size of knuckle (or knee) too - if the knuckle is huge in proportion to the rest of the leg then the dog has a lot more growing to do - as the dog achieves its full size the knuckle is less prominent and more or less in line with the whole leg.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2006, 06:27 PM
The reason some of us judge by the knee or carpal is because it is there that the growing plates are most obvious, as the dog grows the knee joint becomes less obvious as the length of the long bones increase then the size of the knee appears to diminish. The reason that feet are traditionally used is because it is the small bones that finish growing first and the long bones last and because the feet are made of very small bones the feet finish growing when the dog is quite young. It works most of the time if you know the finished shape of the dog’s foot but in some cross breeds you will not know the shape of the foot it could be hare or cat and all stops between.

The different speed of growth of the many bones is why at times our dogs look long in the back, bum high and all sorts of other incorrect shapes before becoming a lovely normal shape for its breed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >