Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jsimt
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2017, 08:06 AM

Female Dog Genital Hygiene

Hey everyone I’m new here to the forum but have been wanting to join a forum for reason like this! It’s a good network! I have a question about my little Chorkie! It’s a little bit of a weird question and gross so I’m sorry in advance...

So my little Sapha (Sah-Fah) is 8 years old and weighs about 10 pounds. She is overweight and currently on a prescription diet to lose those pounds! She SHOULD be around 6 pounds. My problem with little Sapha is with her lack of cleanliness when it comes to cleaning her genital area. She can reach if she reallllllly tries to, but since it’s SUCH a reach, she just doesn’t try. So she lets herself get very dirty down there. It gets terribly dark and crusty with what I am ASSUMING is discharge. It almost looks like wet mud in the little side crevices. I myself have to put her on her back every other day and clean her with some gentle oil and q-tips so that she doesn’t get an infection. It’s that bad.

My question is, is the wet muddy dark brown consistency normal? She’s been spayed since she was a few months old. I also have her mother and her brother, her mom will try to clean her sometimes but doesn’t do it very often. I just don’t know if it’s NORMAL for it to be SO filled with the discharge like that. So yeah. Weird question I know... but I thought I’d ask here first before going to the vet.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Without seeing for ourselves I would say it is normal, one of my Pugs doesn't clean herself and yes it is brown, mine is just bone idle, she can reach but doesn't seem to think it's her job. I'd lose the Q tips and just use wet wipes. I do her face folds, ears and her genitals every day with a wet wipe.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Just a thought: Be careful which wet wipes you use as some dogs can be allergic to the ingredient and cause a rash. I found that out when I used some on one of my dogs. Maybe get some aloe vera juice and dilute it and use that on a clean flannel. Make sure you clean the flannel after each use. When you have cleaned her take her out for a walk so that she dries off naturally. And yes I have to sometimes clean my dog especially as he is hairy and finds it difficult to bend round to that area. The things we do for the love of our dog.