Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JustCause
New Member!
Male 

23-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Crusty/Cracking Nose on American Eskimo

I'm back with my 10 yr old American Eskimo and his crusty/cracking nose. He's currently on a multivitamin to increase his Zinc intake (and that has helped his eyes). But I have yet to find a solution for his nose (see pics).

I also give him one Zinpro Organic Zinc Chewable Tablet per day, but it's made no difference (either did two tablets) after 8 weeks, as it seems to come and go. I did start him on a Tsp of olive oil 3 times a week, about two weeks ago (so it's too early to tell).

The vet wants to try steroids but I'd prefer not to go that route.

His only other issue is left front and right rear paw, have his attention and he's been licking them excessively

Any good ideas for the nose?

Thanks

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Hello JC when did you last speak to your vet.
Has the vet ruled out a type of pyoderma.
Were swabs taken for analysis, I would be concerned that your dog might now have a bacterial infection in addition to the initial problem.

I would also look at the content of food you are feeding.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Here is a picture of a dog with a bad case of nasal pyoderma

on the feet

JustCause
New Member!
Male 

24-12-2013, 01:01 PM
It's been 3 weeks since being at the vet, he has another appt with a veterinary dermatologist end of the week for another opinion.

pyoderma seems nasty.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Ouch. That looks very sore. I understand not wanting to go for steroids right away, but have you had a course of antibiotics?

Just to relieve the irritated skin, you might try a little olive oil or vitamin E oil (get the capsules and just poke them with a pin). Rub only the littlest bit on with your finger a few times a day, to keep the skin from cracking. Low humidity might be an issue too as it's winter. If you have a humdifier, put it on near where your dog sleeps. If not, a saucer of water on top of the radiators will work wonders. I have breathing difficulties and dry skin bothers myself-- this helps me. I hope it will help you. But it does look really sore. I would be looking for antibiotics if it were me.
JustCause
New Member!
Male 

27-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Had the appt with the veterinarian dermatologist, her thinking is that it is auto-immune. Started him on 21 days of antibiotics due to some bacteria being present.

Anyone have experience supplementing Vitamin D with dogs? It has great anti-inflammatory properties that can help control auto-immune issues in humans but dogs I haven't seen any studies.

Humidity levels are always between 45-50, otherwise I get itchy I also will try olive oil again and maybe supplement with fish oil.
leanne86
New Member!
Female 

28-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Hello one of my dogs had this when we first rescued her,it turned out she was allergic to tripe and the plastic in her bowl.It took about a month to clear up after we stopped feeding her tripe and changed her bowl.
Hope it clears up soon